Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

123-reg NEW Warning - scam £40 provider admin charge

Discussion in 'Domain Name Registrars' started by Pred, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

I think a few people in this thread need to read the rules on this...

Taken from the .org registry website:

Source: http://www.pir.org/get/faq/grace#q10

Taken from the .org ICANN registrar agreement:

Source: http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/org/appendix-08-08dec06-en.htm

Then on top of that the domain may have been sold via a reseller:

Page 24 http://www.opensrs.com/docs/contracts/Services_Agreement.pdf

At the very least then 123-reg will be just about covering it's own RGP costs at £40.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. rwinslow United Kingdom

rwinslow Member

Without going in to a long explanation, and to try and keep this simple....

If a domain is renewed and live, aka NOT in redemption period, we will not charge a fee.

If we do renew a domain name for a year on expiry that was not wanted, and the customer wants that domain name, they only have to pay the years fees as per normal.

There are no hidden fees, and no conspiracy to try and charge more for domains that are held on our tag.

When we launched multi year .uk domains we also introduced some other features, such as auto-recovery (where possible) from redemption, that page was not working correctly and showed some incorrect information. Sorry about that. We are / have fixed anything not working exactly as our open business practices state, as I have stated here. Any customers who were charged more for manual renewal with an admin fee are to be refunded.

Let me know the domain in question and I will check it personally myself, issue a refund if we did charge a redemption fee when we should not have. Email is richard.winslow@123-reg.co.uk

123-reg has open business practices, as the largest in the UK it would be very easy for us to start charging fees to transfer tags away, hike up renewal fees compared to sale fees or any of the other practices out there, but we do not do that. Our size is built on years of open business practices and to continue our growth we will stand by those.

4. 123reg_suck

123reg_suck Member

I have already had all this explained, and anyhow already knew the rules for gtld domains, thanks.

I asked several questions regarding extortionate fees to 123reg customer support, and was given a standard copy & paste answer about the gtld rules.

In my correspondance, I quoted UK law regarding how administration fee's should be fair and of just proportion. £40 is not a fair administration fee and certainly not proportionate, and hence probably not legal in the UK. Since the domain had gone past the grace period, this fee should not have been applicable. For the .com domain, the domain was passed onto hugedomains.com and never put back onto the market.

After querying 123reg about the lawfulness of their extortionate charges, I got no further response, just dead silence, hence the need to make complaints and warn others. I am not surprised that someone from 123reg is now defending their stance yet again with the standard reply which we all already know.

I seem to have upset some domain resellers on here who probably practice the same game with regards to disproportionate fees. All I get is the same stance about the rules, which are well known. Someone explain why a £40 admin fee is lawful, i.e. fair and proportionate?

As for transferring TAGs away... with another client who no longer needed my services, you tried to charge them £80 admin fee to transfer away, plus a years renewal fee. Explain How £80 admin fee to transfer away from you is fair and proportionate? You do this only to prevent customers going elsewhere where the customer support is better and everything cheaper. Nominet would not allow it for .uk domains, but you get away with it for US domains.

5. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

people are trying to help you trust me
    but I think you have your wires crossed on a few things

as far as the bottom point
    when someone transfers a .uk away
    they can log into nominet account and pay fiver or max a tenner and do a tagchange

if you were administering for them
    it would have made morer sense for you to send them a nominet transfer costing them a tenner plus vat
    then they could have changed ownership names AND tag for same fee
    then been free to transfer into a new registrar

not sure what happens with 123 when trying to change tag now
    I know for example in domainmonster you can change tag easily and for free

as far as gtlds they have to pay fee if expired

the .com you are talking about that went to hugedomains
    as far as I know 123 don't have an agreement with hd
    think that is a mike mann company
    what does the date say in whois? you sure it didn't drop and they caught it?

6. 123reg_suck

123reg_suck Member

Thanks

But frankly I'm fed up with trying to get answers vis-a-vis the £40 admin fee being disproportionate and unjust. I think I'll wait for my complaints to run their course.

Thanks for those of you who have given advice... but now we're going in circles.

Bye all! Beware of 123reg.co.uk to all you that are not resellers in the same game.

7. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

If 123-reg is being charged between $40 - $80 from their suppliers for RGP fees (see my post above) - how is £40 not proportionate?
    It is up to you the registrant to renew your domain name on time, why should 123-reg pick up the bill for you not renewing your domain on time?
    Also that is one of the lowest RGP fees i've seen in the registrar industry - other registrars charge between $80 - $250.

See the flow chart on:
    http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/gtld-lifecycle

The 30 day redemption period comes after the grace period?

123-reg does not have a partnership with HugeDomains.com

Now either HugeDomains is a 'dropcatcher' and picked it up when it dropped (see the registration date on the domain).

Or the name was auctioned off through one of their suppliers (OpenSRS/Tucows names go to www.afternic.com) and HugeDomains may have bought it there.

On .uk domains 123-reg does not charge for TAG changes.

8. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

You going so soon or are you 'another' member here already I wonder? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.