Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

1and1

Discussion in 'Domain Name Registrars' started by mrh, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrh United Kingdom

mrh Active Member

Just bought a few domains from someone with a 1and1 account, I also have a 1and1 account so I have left them on the 1and1 tag and they are now registered in my name.

However to move them from the previous buyers 1and1 account into my 1and1 account (so I can develop) they want £3.96 for each domain, and I do not want to pay. Can anyone think of a way around?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

when you did the nominet transfer you should have done a free tag change and transferred tag to someone like heart internet, 123 etc
    1 and 1 are nightmares
    you can do a tag change for them but will cost. i would advise mass tagchanging all your domains anyway and moving away from 1 nd 1
    make sure the autorenew is disabled on all too otherwise its not unknown for them to charge for renewing even when domains are not there!
    search on here about 1 and 1 and you will see they are broadly hated by domainers
    good luck

4. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Do a bulk TAG change via your nominet control panel instead for £10 + vat and move them to a registrar that won't rip you off.

£3.96 to move a domain from one account to another, what a joke!!

Grant

5. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

Pay Nominet their £10 fee and change registrars, I personally would rather pay £10 to Nom than £3 those scumbags. I know not brilliant customer service at times and you get what you pay for but 123-reg seems ok for administering your names.

6. mrh United Kingdom

mrh Active Member

Its going to be over £10 to move all 3 from 1 account to another, so i will change the tag in nominet instead.

So if i move them to 123 reg , how do I gain access to them in order to point them at anywebspace I want? I have an account with 123reg already , would they just auto go in there?

The cheeky fu**ers how do I ensure this is turned off?

7. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Change the TAg to 123-reg then login to your 123 account and transfer the domains in so that you have control.

Cancelling the auto-renew/contract with 1&1 probably won't apply as the domains are in someone elses account?

Grant

8. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

One you change the tag to 123-REG (has to be in capitals), you can then transfer in the domains for free on the 123 site, they will then be in your account on there and you can administer them to change nameservers and set up domain redirects etc

[edit]

Beaten by Grant whilst I was typing :)

9. mrh United Kingdom

mrh Active Member

Thanks everyone, much appricated.

Just tried logging in via nominet it seems I have 3 accounts (2 with 123reg and 1 1and1) how do I move all these into 1 account?

Also not all my domains show up via nominet , even when i go into each account? Im confused

10. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

you'll need to merge domains

there will most prob be listed domains with a check box next to and then more below
    it will let you merge 20 at a time but must be on same tag

once each of 3 accounts is fully merged into their accounts, decide wich registrar you're going with, say 123-REG
    then tagchange all of the 1 and 1 domains to 123-REG and same for other ones in each nom account. obviously not the existing 123reg ones
    they should all be in the 123=reg nom account by then
    so you'll be paying nominet a tenner twice

then log into 123-reg.co.uk and transfer in all of domains from 1 and 1 etc for free

11. Pete99

Pete99 Member

Sorry to butt into this thread, but this may be relevant to the OP.

If a site is registered with 1&1 and hosted (somewhere else) and ranking well in the SERP's. Will transferring the domain to another registrar (123-reg) affect the site's ranking?

Thanks.

12. mrh United Kingdom

mrh Active Member

No, it bears no negative or positive SEO

13. Pete99

Pete99 Member

Thanks mrh.

Good luck with your transfer from 1&1 to 123-Reg.

I'm doing the same. :)

14. binny

binny Active Member

this cost would be because you are transferring between accounts instead of changing the tag and then entering the domain as one you already own which would be free.

1&1 are harsh if you don't cancel contracts correctly but you'll find that 123-REG have the same credit/debit card retention issues and have a habit of performing phantom registrations.

15. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

I moved my domains from 123-reg to daily last year and have been happy with them since

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.