Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

21st April mobile search - Everyone ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sure you all know on 21st April Google will be implementing their mobile friendly search algorithm - if your site isn't search friendly it won't show in the mobile search results (currently accounts for c.50-60% of all searches).

If you have Wordpress then wptouch is pretty good.

Quick easy fix although far from ideal.

Is this update going to affect non mobile searches?

Edit: scratch that, just read that it will!

Last edited:
Just affects mobile searches. Haven't seen any changes yet to search results I'm in!

Me neither, and I've not reacted on one of my sites. Whilst this has been likely for many years, I don't feel Google have given much warning of this, not when you consider just how any small businesses operate their web presence themselves etc. We'll see what happens!

I assumed the idea was that mobile friendly sites would rank above non friendly sites for mobile searches. Apparently not necessarily so...

"While the mobile-friendly change is important, we still use a variety of signals to rank search results. The intent of the search query is still a very strong signal -- so even if a page with high quality content is not mobile-friendly, it could still rank high if it has great content for the query."

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.uk/

Kind of makes the exercise pointless.

It's been a useful kick up the butt to get stuff mobile. Major hassle but now I'm mobile friendly and learnt a lot in the process!

Yup, I scrambled to get something in place, probably 3-4 days work. It's not perfect, but it is a lot more friendly on mobile and should avoid any penalties for us.

Given that Googles own apps are still offering me news articles published today on non-mobile friendly sites, i'll say that this is another example of Google (and the press) creating a stir for the sake of it.

Just like the EMD thing, it will be added to over 200 other factors, that may or may not help the site to rank.

Given that Googles own apps are still offering me news articles published today on non-mobile friendly sites, i'll say that this is another example of Google (and the press) creating a stir for the sake of it.

Just like the EMD thing, it will be added to over 200 other factors, that may or may not help the site to rank.

With this though, it's quite clear what you need to do, and what the consequences are if you don't sort it out. From the talk, it seems it will have more impact that other updates.

It's not a case of G creating a stir for the sake of it.

Forget Google for a minute; if your website isn't mobile friendly, you're losing customers. It's that simple.

• According to comScore, mobile (phones/tablets/games consoles/TVs etc) overtook fixed internet access in 2014
  • 67% of people are more likely to make a purchase on a mobile device when browsing a mobile friendly site than when browsing a non-optimised site
  • 48% of people think a business doesn't care about its customers if their website doesn't work on mobile devices
  • 85% of people believe a companies mobile website should be as good as, if not better than, their desktop website
  • 94% of smartphone users look for local information on their phones, 90% of which take action as a result (making a purchase, contacting a business etc)
This is a good article to read if you're interested in mobile marketing: http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile...keting-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks,

Craig

Forget Google for a minute; if your website isn't mobile friendly, you're losing customers. It's that simple.

• According to comScore, mobile (phones/tablets/games consoles/TVs etc) overtook fixed internet access in 2014
  • 67% of people are more likely to make a purchase on a mobile device when browsing a mobile friendly site than when browsing a non-optimised site
  • 48% of people think a business doesn't care about its customers if their website doesn't work on mobile devices
  • 85% of people believe a companies mobile website should be as good as, if not better than, their desktop website
  • 94% of smartphone users look for local information on their phones, 90% of which take action as a result (making a purchase, contacting a business etc)
This is a good article to read if you're interested in mobile marketing: http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile...keting-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks,

Craig

+1

Making your sites mobile responsive is something people should be doing anyway with the increasing use of portable devices for search. This change by Google has given people the kick up the arse to do it and they should see the benefits from it, both in not being hit by a Google slap but in terms of conversion.

Still non mobile friendly websites showing in 1st page. They might change their site as mobile friendly before this algorithm fully takes control.

Yes very true, if some one is experiencing drift in the traffic, then check your mobile friendliness. Because after 21st, google will consider it in SEO. If your website is device friendly, then bingo for you, else make it soon else you will see Negative marking by Google as far as SEO is concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom