Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

3d printing domains

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by thecat, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecat United Kingdom

thecat Active Member

So I have a number of 3d printing domains - my favourite one is probably 3dprinterslondon.co.uk.

Only real question for me is - is the 3d printing market ready/is there enough demand for these service.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

There was wonderful (and recent) interview with someone that insisted that 3d printing was going to be bigger than the internet - even bigger than the steam engine. I have to say she wore a wonderful pair of Supposedly "self-printed" red shoes.

The trouble is the 3d printing market is always going to be at a level that the producer/user is going to be a disadvantage to 'mass production' (assembly production)

Sure the innovators, and 'one-of' producers will (and do) love it. Shame the producers of the 3d printing machines will come to see it never was going to be for the mass-market. The future of 3d printing is strictly for unique manufacturing concepts and design.

It's going to follow something like 3dtv for the home (if you forgive the analogy) Great idea - shame it doesn't work (ie be wanted and make money) and therefore isn't worth machine manufacturers investment. Those that will be out there will be super expensive and of course concept/use/material dictated. IMHO

Like anything that unique - buyers will be looking to the individual manufacturers - and that doesn't bode well for most generic let alone location based domains or indeed any other domains in that field

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

It is still very early days in my opinion. You might make some money with a directory service but I don't see a big domain sale.

Rgds

5. thecat United Kingdom

thecat Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys, very interesting.

It IS early days but I did wonder if we were early enough to be at the top of the curve of these types of domains - but google search volumes indicate this may not be the case.

The idea that it is just for designers to produce mock ups/prototypes is far from the truth. There are some industries that 3d printing has already made a big difference - in cost, speed, simplicity. I'm not going to say it's mainstream, it's not, those industries are niche no question but it IS making a difference.

The directory idea is just about the only thing I can think of developing, only issue is right now my job leaves me no time to really push any of my own projects - unless I wish to be single!

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I would be careful when regging high tech names as I have found they don't sell that well. High tech is very different from a major consumer product.

Rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.