Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

$3m sale of creditcheck.com and freecreditcheck.com

Discussion in 'Sold Domains' started by Nigel, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Active Member

4. maverick123

maverick123 Active Member

yes, its really a nie sale, i too hope to get that amount for few of my domains very soon :)

5. jhump Spain

jhump Active Member

Very nice sale. I'm currently taking offers on checkyourcredit.co.uk and repairyourcredit.co.uk but perhaps I ought to consider doing a site instead!

6. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

FreeCreditScoring.co.uk

I think i'll do the same with www.FreeCreditScoring.co.uk as it gets a nice trickle of traffic to it...

When i see names like this going for 3m I instantly think its an attempt to bump domain prices up or set the name up for a bigger sale in the future. Dont get me wrong its fantastic for us us guys but i feel its a little transparent sometimes. If the sale was genuine then a huge well done, I guess I'm just a sceptic and doubt the 3m crossed hands, you see it happening all the time, especially with the .mobi names e.g flowers.mobi for 200K, yeah right! who swallows that one? It's all a big PR exercise and more often than not the buyer and the seller are usually both in on it.

Damn, I dont usually comment on such threads, I guess the UK sun must have affected me :p

Barry

7. paul

paul Well-Known Member

It was not the domains that made them worth $3m it was the websites and their established revenue that gave them the majority of their value. Any domain name could be worth this if it was developed and generating the same sort of income.

So although it's an interesting sale it has very little relevance to the value of those domains or any similar domains

8. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

We do not know the reasons for the valuation. Revenue is a basis for valuing domains and sites separately or collectively

9. paul

paul Well-Known Member

My point exactly, we do not know what part, if any, the domain names played in the valuation so as I said before it is an interesting sale but gives us no indication what the domains are worth and is therfore of little value in this section of the forum :)

10. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

Surely in this case it is the names and not the sites. The names cannot fail to generate large revenue due to the amount of direct typeins the names will get.

A bit like sex.com (have you seen the landing page :confused: )

A quick check at google.com for the phrase: credit check (done through megaproxy.com) shows creditcheck.com is not listed in the first 3 pages. (gave up after this)

So it cannot be for seo as they are nowhere to be found. It has to be for direct typein and with a landing page that is the front page of Experian, it cannot fail.

11. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

I think you need to add Rick Schwartz's and Monte Cahn's % cut into the equation ;)

12. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

naughty naughty dear Andrew, lmao

13. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

This past year I've been seeing offers going up in value and frequency for some of my own financial generics... I wonder what impact/precedent the Domain Focus auction will have on the uk domain market.

14. spanno

spanno Active Member

damn I used to own freecreditcheck.com

it got typo traffic sometimes 3k/ day from FreeCreditReport.com who advertise heavily on US TV etc

this is my old page from 1999 when I used to push nextcard on it!
    http://web.archive.org/web/19991127163057/http://www.freecreditcheck.com/

made like $25k / year from their cards then they went bust and traffic dried up for a while so I got rid of it

looks like experian got it.. gutted I hate experian

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.