Domain Manage

Accessories.co.uk - ACCESSORIES

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by BG, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BG United Kingdom

BG Active Member

Hi Guys,

Just a quickie...

I've had a few emails regarding the domain www.accessories.co.uk

I'm in two minds whether to develop it, or sell it... What values would people put on this particular name? obviously i know it will be a great deal higher if dev'd with an income, but I'm always interested in peoples valuations be it good or bad, thanks.

Regards,
    Barry

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. JMOT

JMOT Well-Known Member

accessories for what?

Any developer or buyer will need to define his/her market.

Its a lovely generic but that imho is its downfall... its too generic.

£5k imho :cool:

4. BG United Kingdom

BG Active Member

Accessories (Accessories.co.uk)

If dev'd you could go one of two ways really e.g.

Accessories purely for women

Or

create a generic site which list categories like >

Car Accessories
    Golf Accessories
    Travel Accessories
    Designer Accessories
    Male Accessories
    Female Accessories

and so on....

Personally i feel it would be best to just focus on say male and female accessories as that seems to be the most popular area... then grow the site from their.

That's an interesting valuation Tom, you really are a true acorner :p

Others views pls

Barry

5. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

Great domain Barry, didn't know you had bought that one too... all his nice domains must be gone now ;)

Not sure on 'end user' value, but when I was tempted to it my thoughts were the same as in starting a male/female accessories website then expand from there. I would start with just women first though and see how it goes, they love accessories and if you make it easy to find items it will be a great success.

6. BG United Kingdom

BG Active Member

Thanks Wb, and yes you're right all the nice ones have gone now :p

I also agree, female accessories all the way... what's your opinion on value?

Barry

7. WigWam Singapore

WigWam Well-Known Member

I would say around the £15k mark for this domain would be a fair value since I am quite positive that clairs accessories or any of their competitors would want it.

WigWam

8. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Push for a 0 on the end of that I would say.

Its not like you need the money Barry :)

9. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

Probably worth a grand, I'll buy it? :D

In all seriousness though, I can see you selling it for a decent £xx,xxx figure. My guess would be £20-50k, and I'll be kicking myself for not buying it when the chance was there if it does :p

Get it developed though, you know how successful it could be with affiliate feeds from all the major stores combined with the right search functions and category structures to keep visitors coming back.

"It's all about the accessories..."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  10. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  11. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I am not so confident because Clarie's use claires.com; probably because it is so easy to misspell "accessories" (what with the double c and double s, and is it y or ies). Can the type of customer of Clarie's spell "accessories"? That is potentially a big devaluation.

12. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I would say it's worth £5-10k undeveloped.

It's one of those domains that's almost too generic. I think developing it will give it more focus.

13. Frog

Frog Active Member

I think that is a huge point, and being completely over looked by anyone saying 50k+....

I think for that sort of money you'd need to bundle it with acessories, accesories etc. I think it would be hard to get someone to invest so much otherwise, knowing a large percentage of their type in traffic are going in the bin straight off the bat.

According to adwords the real spelling gets 27k searches, those 2 typos alone get 3,500 between them.

Don't see this being worth any more than £10k... personally I wouldn't buy it at all with the typo problem.

14. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

As others have said, it isn't specific and it is a bit hard to spell. However, I feel there may be some valuable online markets for accessories. The one that springs to mind is the mobile accessories market. I would think about marketing the name to some mobile accessories companies and see what offers come in.

I can see it working from a branding perspective, "Accessories.co.uk - Your one stop shop for mobile accessories".

Good luck with it.

Rgds

15. BG United Kingdom

BG Active Member

Accessories.co.uk - Women's Accessories - Men's Accessories - Designer Accessories

I think what i will do with 'accessories.co.uk' is put a site up using all my affiliate product feeds, do some seo, then leave it for 3/6 months to see what income it generates.... then maybe go looking for a buyer... If the income is better than i expected then you will see me putting a lot more effort in and becoming part of the male and female accessories world, lol.

Personally i feel this name has the potential of an xxx,xxx sale, its just a case of finding that right buyer, as like all domains.

Many of times I've seen people say on various threads "its only worth x,xxx", then all of a sudden you see it sell on sedo or domainlore for say xx,xxx, and guess who the buyers are... those saying it was only worth x,xxx, lol, what is also funny is when you ask these same people who give low valuations how much they would sell their 'not so good' names for, they reply with £20k, £50k, £100K, its a funny old word the domain game but you've got to love it :)

As i will say til the day i die... " a domain is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it " > Hopefully a lot when it comes to mine, hehehe :p

16. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

I'm struggling to see a problem with this domain, as for the typo, there is no typo problem.

Accessories is quite an easy word to spell, people may mis key a word, but the majority of people can spell it.

Customer wise, my girls got £120 of vouchers between them for Claires Accessories, from two quite high demographic people lol So yes Claires customers can spell im pretty certain.

Like any business its the branding thats important, if this domain is branded well, it could have a huge turnover, and accessories are bound to have a healthy margin, so worth a pretty penny just based upon potential business.

Being low dem I dont have the sort of money to buy it, but after spending 10 minutes in claires just after christmas, and having to add money to the vouchers, I would snap it up if I did.

Speak to anyone who has ever worked in a fashion shop, there is literally a killing to be made on accessories.

I think you would be mad to sell it.

17. accelerator United Kingdom

The way I see it though is that fashion accessories are mainly a real world purchase. They are quite cheap, so there's no economic benefit to buying online. I haven't tried promoting fashion accessories online, but I feel it wouldn't be that strong (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

Mobile accessories however, I feel is strong online. Who's bought a Bluetooth headset, phone charger or battery online? Quite a few of us I'm guessing.

Rgds

18. ScottJ United Kingdom

ScottJ Well-Known Member

G as in Google not Mr G has already dealt with the typo problem if you have the ranking/seo sorted, when I type in accesories I get the results as if I had typed in the correct spelling so no leakage.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  19. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Accel I agree there are some cheap accessories, however, handbags and the like are also classed as accessories if the branding was right, take a look at some of the prices on yoox.com and they are cheap for what they are.

If you have the word, you focus on them all, thats not taking your eye of the business, you can limitthe stock you sell and the lines you carry etc

A mosaic with different sectors on the home page could quickly take you to the accessory type you require?

20. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

Good choice Barry ;) accessories aren't exactly expensive to make generally, so decent profit margins to be made for the retailers. If you're getting good sales numbers I'm sure there will be plenty of room to negotiate commission too.

The main gap in the market in my opinion is having a website with a fantastic search/category structure so (mainly) women can find exactly what they want to complement an outfit. After all, accessories which are cheap will probably only get used with a few different items of clothing if that... so will be a frequently purchased item and the visitors will keep coming back for more.

21. accelerator United Kingdom

I think he needs to find a pure play accessories company to sell to. I think car accessories is another potential sector, maybe a B2B car accessories company.

I personally don't see an affiliate buying this one. Yes handbags are expensive fashion accessories but I feel it's better to reg a handbags domain if you want to sell them.

Rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.