Domain Manage

Acorn spam

Discussion in 'General Board' started by doodlebug, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

Why is Flightfool still on Acorn :confused:

He has put yet another link to an outside auction.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. rob

rob Founding Member

Are the mods on holiday or does the team need expanding?

4. rob

rob Founding Member

5. doodlebug United Kingdom

Rob >

Them links, 1 takes you to Flightfools profile and 2 take you to threads not related to Flightfool ?

However I have noticed Flightfool posting even more cr*p :mad:

6. rob

rob Founding Member

Yeah the other ones are spam as well and have reported posts etc

7. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Since Lee Owen got banned the spam threat level has dropped from critical to low so response times may well take longer!

8. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

9. doodlebug United Kingdom

I see, I thought you was just referring to Flightfool but you mean in general.

10. admin Spain

Are you saying I should ban links to Sedo and other domain auction sites? A lot of people here post those.

I know it's annoying when someone posts poor quality names but can't you just add him to your ignore list? Otherwise how do I fairly judge if people have names "worthy" of Acorn Domains?

I'm all for keep the forum UK focused and quality content, I just need to apply rules fairly.

Admin

11. doodlebug United Kingdom

Don't mind links to Sedo or for TLD domains but that's all Flightfool does, he never contributes to the site, did he even post in the introductions section to begin with ?

Seems like he is using this forum for his own personal gain and not helping anyone else.

12. admin Spain

Well yes some people only use it as a sales platform, which raises again the question of charging... something I've tried to avoid as I want to support people here to help them sell more domains for free.

13. rob

rob Founding Member

Alot of names on here dont sell and its either tat / overpriced tat :)

Paid listings or limit of listings a week rather than 24hrs or the like might up quality, likewise a 2-3 strikes and your out style rule on TM might tidy the place up.

Got to remember Acorn is the 'public face' of .uk 'domaining' as well as its own forum membership.

14. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Quality depends on the eye of the beholder Rob.

Posting domain for sale should only be given to members with 1,000 post or more... I guess I don't qualify... Lets make it 100

15. HariSeldon

HariSeldon Active Member Exclusive Member

The problem with post count being a measure is that spammers just post nonsense to get their post count up.

My preferred criteria would be no posting domains for sale if you have red rep, that way the community decides what's good or bad and Admin/mods will need to manually intervene much less often.

16. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I don't see any merit in posting links to Sedo. DomainLore is a different matter because they're much more picky about quality, but most stuff on Sedo is junk (on average). Anyone who wants to monitor the current Sedo auctions can do so via DomainLore anyway, so there's no need to post them here.

Worst of all is the people who ask for offers here, get a few in the thread, then end their thread with the "now on Sedo auction". I'm sure people wouldn't bother to make offers if they're just going to be bypassed for an auction in any case (I certainly wouldn't!)

17. rob

rob Founding Member

yes - auto modding really :)

VB can be setup to promote/demote users based on rep, so could be a case of the community taking the workload off admin + co.

Downside is new users with nice names (future.co.uk recently) could come a cropper.

Also as on topic of mods - if mods can open/close/delete their own threads we all ought to, or have a policy of mods cant touch their own threads :)

18. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I think you should ban non .uk domains and create a separate forum for people to specifically post auction links for .uk domains.

19. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Perhaps there's a mod to auto-ignore specific forums? That way, people could unsubscribe to the "Top level domains" forum, the "External auctions" forum or whatever forums they liked. As long as it also hid the threads in "new posts" view that would probably be the most elegant solution - those who care can still see the threads in question, and everyone else can banish them forever with a couple of clicks!

20. doodlebug United Kingdom

Maybe select which sections you do and don't want but at the end of the day it's Alans choice ?

In think preventing users with Red rep is a good idea, would save on Admin / mods workload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.