Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Advertising in the sunday times

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by Sound, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domainseller200 United Kingdom

domainseller200 Well-Known Member

I have never understood (just as an example) why when Joe public goes to check domain availabilty of a domain name at somewhere like Fasthosts for example, if it is unavailable but is registered in someones Fasthost account, why they don't have they option of being able to contact that person ? It would be good for Fasthosts as they would have a reason for lots of people to have their domains with them, and they also introduce and capture a new customer if they bought the name and continued to use fasthosts for domain services and most likely hosting too.

- Domain company wins as from both exisiting customer and new customer
    - Seller wins as they have an easy option for a buyer to contact them
    - Buyer wins as they have easy access to contact about the domain they wanted

Most people haven't got a clue how to contact someone about a domain name if it is already registered. They don't automatically think "I will look on Sedo to see if it is for sale on there"

Sometimes even having a landing page with "this name is for sale" is not enough, as the majority will just see "sorry this name is unavailable" when searching via a registrar website such as fasthosts, and then move on to look for another one which is available for reg fee.

The solution is easy. getting people to implement it isn't.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Sedo have the MLS service (http://www.sedo.com/us/sedo/sedomls/) which would do exactly that but it doesn't work for Nominet names as the transfer process is not automatic - or something to that effect.

It would grow the market considerably.

Stephen.

4. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Imagine if the uk whois displayed the contact email address. The inquiries would certainly spike. A few months back I had a letter arrive on my desk wanting to buy they were so desperate to make contact (they had failed to just type the domain into the browser and click on the for sale banner).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. foz

foz Well-Known Member

20% commission from memory and you have to have BIN's. No thanks.

Negotiate negotiate negotiate all day long.

6. Brassneck United Kingdom

Wouldn't the 20 per cent be good compensation for say a 100 per cent increase in sales? It seems quite plausible to me that sales would increase and actually many buyers would be more confident in dealing through a sales platfrom rather than direct.

Interesting discussion anyway!

7. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Requiring BIN's is the killer for me. xx,xxx domains good grief.

8. domainseller200 United Kingdom

Yes but companies need to implent it which won't happen, the same as the idea I said wouldn't happen either. It is so backwards in the UK namespace it is crazy.

9. domainseller200 United Kingdom

I have had the exact same scenario myself recently. The buyer sent the letter via Royal Mail Special Delivery which cost him around £6 to get there the next day. Had he simply typed the domain name into the browser he would have been able to contact me direct in 30 seconds or less and also known it was 100% for sale, instead of the "I am really sorry to contact you via this address, and please don't think I am intruding on your private space etc etc"

I know of a certain 'retired member' from here who does exactly that, and displays his email address in the whois on all of his names and this is bound to have had a huge effect on his enquiries for certain.

10. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Nominet validation police will soon kill that. Any whois that is not "correctly" form filled will be overridden and put right by Nominet. They hate it and encourage the public to draw attention to who is doing it.

11. domainseller200 United Kingdom

That is the exact reason I have never done it, shame really (it is also the reason I never gave an example of a name or who it was too) Do you or anyone else know why Nominet never allowed emails to be displayed on the whois ?

12. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

So that when they write to all .co.uk domain holders giving them automatic grandfather rights for their .uk domains, all the letters get delivered successfully of course!

13. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more mate really wish the UK companies would bring something in like this. Look at 123-reg even though they are the largest seller of .uks there premium section only ever shows .coms surely it wouldn't be beyond them to set up some sort of this premium model that can work with nominet

I'm sure if the right people put there heads together something could be worked out. I notice godaddy list premium sedo names without a buy it now in place as well.

I know users here have names at a wide range of price points really think it could boost sales at all levels if the wider public new there is an aftermarket

PS after a ropey midsection this threads turning out really good thanks all who are sharing

14. foz

foz Well-Known Member

No, before my time. If it was SPAM it is pointless, as most own other domains at other Registries that display a contact email address.

15. Brassneck United Kingdom

That's true - I had to sort out a load of my own domains today and they had the correct details! They were going to be suspended if I didn't act!

Stephen.

16. Brassneck United Kingdom

Domainmonster implemented similar but not for .uk http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/introductions/102231-hi-everyone-6.html#post396825

Presumably it suits Nominet not to change how transfers work.

Stephen.

17. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Your right I don't think nominet would want to change that not sure I'd want them to either. Sure 123-reg could flex all that voting power they have if it suited them.
    Don't necessarily think they would need to anyway for thier 10-20% they could act like a escrow middleman a bit like sedo do but hopefully better and see a smooth transfer took place.
    Would be interesting if Richard or one of the other 123-reg reps commented in with their thoughts if it was something they would consider

18. Sound United Kingdom

Sound Well-Known Member

I have displayed an email address in my contact details and made sales with this method

Not really sure why Nominet are so against this as a form of contacting owners.

19. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

Mr Jackson is advertising them in ST

Next to the reg plates adverts

Doug

20. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

I know he leases - is he advertising to sell or lease?

21. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Anyone advertised in trader magazine? I would of thought keyword domains might be apt for the readership?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.