Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Advice Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All ,

I would be really greatful for some advice on the below please...

I have a website that for the time being I do to want to change the desgin (for many reasons), but I want to make it more responsive and mobile friendly.

After speak to a few company's there say the site can converted to a responsive design and stay looking the same (which is great).

The sites mark up is in build in vaild HTML/CSS and I want it stay the same as the only way I can update the site comfortably myself (my preference) is this way.

I would like the site to be recoded (not a big site or complex site, a static site) in HTML/CSS and was hoping it would be just coded giving new bespoke style sheets and new HTML etc.

The first developer who is a nice chap, has come back and wants to recode the site using a "framework".

I understand it might cost a lot more but is it not possible to recode the site bespoke (the site is less than 20 pages and quite basic) and not use a framework.

I would prefer that a I could find my way round a lot better and not have extra code there or have to understand anything apart from what the site needs etc.

So the question is :)

Q1) Am I wrong to ask for it not to be build on a framework and be coded bespoke as that's what I would prefer and happy to extra to do it this way etc...

Many thanks for reading...

Ask any developer to do something and they are likely to want to do it with stuff they know, find easy to work with, and can get the job done quickly with.

Certainly your site could be made to work without a Framework. A Framework is just a handy development tool. It may have advantages and disadvantages. You should evaluate it based on what the developer says and what your criteria are. There are always lots of different ways a site could be coded. If you have doubts, speak to more people.

Rgds

It could be rebuilt in Bootstrap, pages will still be static HTML that you can edit yourself in your chosen editor. Happy to look at it for you.

Richard

Many thanks for you reply and makes sence and what thought as well.

The site is going to stay as it looks now for a good while and there nothing to be added in future that would change the goal posts on bespoke style sheets and bespoke HTML.

I am not technically minded but can add a page of an existing design and normally don't touch the style sheet at all.

So there nothing wrong with me saying :-

I want bespoke style sheets and bespoke HTML as its my preference, and happy to pay the extra cost...

Or any others thoughts on not using a "Framework" would be greatful to hear please.

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your reply...

As I am not technically minded and just want to stay updating the site as I have been I really do just want Bespoke CSS/HTML unless there is a big reason you can't.

I.e a responsive design for a basic static has to be done on a framework, at a guess to me they both run on CSS and HTML but bespoke CSS/ HTML might

1) take more time to do...
2) need someone who is used to coding bespoke CSS/HTML for responsive designs and not just used to using frameworks and the editing them?

Are the points correct above please?

You need to find out what he means by framework. If he's talking bootstrap framework which is used widely to make sites responsive then go for it you will still be able to easily update the html yourself it wont look much different at all code wise.

If he's talking about using php framework something like laravel or cakephp then you may not want to go that way as it make it harder for you to update if your not familiar using such things.

Id ask him for more info about the framework and examples, alot of people seem to be calling pre-made (premium) themes "frameworks" now days which they then customise to look and feel like the required design. Thats perfectly fine if the client is aware of it, more often than not its done for those clients which simply havent got a budget and want something quick for a couple of hundred quid that looks unique so building from scratch isnt an option and its a handy work around.

But like I say, if its not outlined to the client then it steps on the area of shady practice, it could mean they only know how to customise rather than build quality from scratch with clean well commented code.

Hi All,

Really greatful for the replys and your time...

It is to use Bootstrap or Skeleton framework...

But just my own preference I would still :D like the CSS/HTML to be made bespoke as that what I have always had and as its a basic static design...

Even if it would be easyier to recreate in one of the above frameworks is there also no reason it could not be Done Bespoke (if I am happy to pay for the extra work).

Cheers...

Hi All,

Really greatful for the replys and your time...

It is to use Bootstrap or Skeleton framework...

But just my own preference I would still :D like the CSS/HTML to be made bespoke as that what I have always had and as its a basic static design...

Even if it would be easyier to recreate in one of the above frameworks is there also no reason it could not be Done Bespoke (if I am happy to pay for the extra work).

Cheers...

Shouldnt be any reason why not if it doesnt require any additional functionality that would make sense to framework it. Just remind the dev that your paying the bill so he does what the boss tells him to ;) im sure he'll take it well lol.

To be honest I don't want to come across a pain in the you no what....

And dont want to tell someone how to do there job, hence me asking advice here which I am very greatful for thank you to all...

There is nothing to be added at a later stage to this site and nothing fancy on the site apart from a basic .js sider on the home page that I have been told can be used in a responsive design.

Waiting to hear back from a couple of other people, but even happy to say that I understand the price for the quote might increase by 30% due to unforeseen work due to a framework not being used.

So for me not being very tech savvy I just want the pages bespoke coded, be fast loading, be as near to being vaild code as possible (understand sometime its not possible to have them 100% valid sometimes).

I can then carry on as I have been doing etc...

If there are are any other thoughts I would be greatful to hear them...

With bootstrap you will be able to carry on as you have been doing. Really go and download a free bootstrap template before you go and waste your money and time, look at the code in an editor and you will see it looks very familiar to what your used to.

http://bootstrapzero.com/

In terms of the html side its generally just some extra div elements in your html code.
Your probably going to give yourself more headaches down the road if you go fully bespoke responsive design.
If I were you I'd ask them to return one page so you can see what it looks like before you decide.

IF the framework is bootstrap, then it is remarkably easy to add the few necessary tags to your markup and allow bootstrap to decide how to layout the page dependant on the platform it is viewed on, you basically tag what you want on each layout and bootstrap does the rest for you.

Your probably going to give yourself more headaches down the road if you go fully bespoke responsive design.

Thank you very much for your reply, I know the design will not change on the site, some extra pages will be added but will follow the other pages in terms of design.

I would be greatful if you could please tell be the possible Problems / Headaches given the above on a fully bespoke design.

Cheers

It may be an idea to PM somebody the site URL, at least then somebody can advise you on how to move forward.

May also be the ideal time for a bit of modernising, using the elements already created in Bootstrap you can have a fresher looking site in alot quicker time than trying to go bespoke, which I can't really understand to be honest. It'll still be a basic HTML layout that you can work on..

Thank you very much for your reply, I know the design will not change on the site, some extra pages will be added but will follow the other pages in terms of design.

I would be greatful if you could please tell be the possible Problems / Headaches given the above on a fully bespoke design.

Cheers

Just to the fact depending on how well they comment there work you may limit the amount of future people who can easily make changes to the site if need be. this way you may need to keep going back to them to change stuff what if they grow move don't want to take on smaller jobs anymore.

If you go with bootstrap you have an extremely well documented well tested base that powering 100'000's probably millions of sites already.

It a no brainer if you want to be able to keep editing the site easily yourself most of bootstraps stuff happens behind the scenes it really wont make the HTML your used to working with now that different at all

Just to the fact depending on how well they comment there work you may limit the amount of future people who can easily make changes to the site if need be.

I have already said I wanted the styles sheet to be well commented, showing the different elements for each page etc, needs to be vaild and well documented so it's easy to understand whats what (the people I asked already had this on all of the clients sites which showed a link back to them so the existing clients).

this way you may need to keep going back to them to change stuff what if they grow move don't want to take on smaller jobs anymore.

I would hope that anyone who is a web designer and says they make bespoke websites (along with other types of sites) they would be able to edit/work on a vaild CSS/HTML basic static website built in HTML5 with semantic valid code? Why would I need to go back to them if given the above and I would own the source code (not sure if I am missing something).

If you go with bootstrap you have an extremely well documented well tested base that powering 100'000's probably millions of sites already.

It a no brainer if you want to be able to keep editing the site easily yourself most of bootstraps stuff happens behind the scenes it really wont make the HTML your used to working with now that different at all

Just my preference I don't want to at this moment in time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom