Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Affiliate gurus: I need your opinion on my humble first attempt…

Discussion in 'Affiliate Marketing' started by expertc, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

Hi people,

Yesterday, when getting few more chemical names (nice ones, btw, but it’s offtop) I decided to give a try in some affiliate work and bought couple of domains. Today, had few spare minutes and quickly put together a Wordpress-based site for one of them.

This is actually my first attempt to do any “serious” affiliate work. Your Expert opinion would be priceless!

Yes, the link is my signature now ;)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

Delete "The best Blu Ray Player Website in the UK". Sounds like a PPC page. Naff, kill it :p

- Rob

4. expertc

Done! Cheers

5. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

what is wrong with a white background because the images glare at you and it would be better to blend them in,i have had many black background websites and i find it very hard to read and to convert.

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

It's a very good effort for a first site. However, I am not sure that WordPress is necessarily the best format for an affiliate site. I can tell you that to make a sale, price comparison is very important.

Also important, as others have mentioned, is high contrast between background and links. For instance, it would increase your conversion if your buy now button was bright orange.

The other problem I have with Wordpress is that in the first screen view, you aren't displaying that much info, you have to scroll down for more. The "above the fold" section is critical.

Your tagline "Get your Blu Ray Player here" is getting a bit lost in the background. I feel the tagline could be better too.

Good first start though. What feeds are you running?

Hope that helps anyway. See also:

Conversion Rate Optimisation

Rgds

• Like Like x 1
  7. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

You're using three different spellings:

Blu Ray
    Blu-Ray
    BluRay

I suggest you pick one and make it common to all references.

8. expertc

Wow, thanks, people

Deliajen: Unfortunately white background in this case is the only option to have images to stand-out. The thing is, many of the images occupy only like 15% of the actual picture and are dark. Putting text around them would look very unprofessional on a white background (e.g. large margins).

Accelerator: Orange… hmmm, interesting, I’ll try. I chose Wordpress because I don’t have many products on the site and also I can SEO WP to any level. Tagline is mostly SEO, but I’ll try to change theme’s css. Feed is from affiliate window, a bit customized. Thanks for the link.

aZooZa: Different spellings are for SEO, it is based on search patterns.

9. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

"aZooZa: Different spellings are for SEO, it is based on search patterns."

That's a new one on me, but I'm no expert. It may be good for SEO but it looks clumsy to me as a visitor. If what you say is true; and I'm not doubting you, I suppose it's a trade-off.

10. expertc

I've learned it in chemical eMarketing. There have many spellings with or without "-" for the same product. It only affects like "last 7-8%" of SEO, but this is, sometimes, enough to make a difference.

11. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

I can understand that it crops up all the time in chemistry, but this is a consumer product. The correct spelling is 'blu-ray' and that's what I would use.

Just my 2p - good luck!

12. expertc

Thanks. I'll try to make it more discrete ;)

13. expertc

Update. OK, left "bluray" and "Blu Ray" for SEO only in two (not so important) places in "About...". Not many people are reading it anyway, but bots do.

And I did like the idea with orange buttons, so here we go...

14. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

As far as I can see it's a blog with picture's of Blu-ray players in each post with some text about the player.

Not an ecommerce site, a blog.

15. expertc

Yep, exactly! And, as I always do with B2B eCommerce, I am now running it in "tandem" with another website newmovies/org/uk. WP I need to get to the first line really fast. I am not going to spend anything on PPC, and the idea is - organic search. What I am checking here is: if my B2B skills "convert" to B2C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.