Domain Manage

Am I mad to do this?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by inbound, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inbound United Kingdom

inbound Active Member

I'd like your thoughts on whether the domain-loving side of me is colouring my judgement on something too much.

I have a not-for-profit project that I'm passionate about and I am looking at buying a domain for it to live at. The problem is that the domain (a .org.uk) I want to buy is going to cost around £2000 and I will never see a penny of that back (as there will be no income stream for the project so it can't even be paid back to me as a legitimate expense).

The domain is not neccessary for the project, but it's a very nice domain for the site in question and conveys a sense of authority (so realistically may make it easier to spread the word about).

Should I spend the money or go with an alternative domain that isn't as good but I already own?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

In my opinion it's just the same as buying anything to do with a hobby. Better helmet and leathers for motorbiking, better golf clubs, better tyres/wheels for a car.

If you can afford it and you want to do it then do.

What's the site about?

4. retired_member36

retired_member36 Retired Member

If you can afford to buy "the domain in question" and would prefer it, and are sure you can commit to the project, id say go for it...

5. PaulGregory

PaulGregory Active Member

The difference between this and some other hobbies is that you are also putting time and effort into building the site, which has a value. If that time is worth £2,000 (and it easily could be) then anything that will increase the chances of your project being successful will help ensure that your time isn't wasted. Also, if you've spent £2k on the name, you'll be more motivated to get the site finished!!

It sounds like you will achieve the goals of your project easier with the better name.

Another way to look at it: if with your domainer hat you believe that it's worth people spending money on a good domain (rather than it just being a nice thing that people give you lots of money), it probably helps your overall image that your personal project has a good name.

So you're not mad to spend £2,000 on a domain you really want even if the "really need" and "will pay for itself" are questionable.

It may be worth seeing if the seller has anything else listed that you can bundle together for a deal.

6. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Is the domain worth £2000 ?
    If so it has a resale value, so therefore no real cost.

7. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Conviction seems to be your stumbling block.

Personally I don't think you can be that 'passionate' about it, if you were then you wouldn't be questioning the purchase.

8. inbound United Kingdom

inbound Active Member

Thanks everyone, I have made an offer on the domain.

9. khalid United Kingdom

khalid Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree. I'm passionate about the work the SSPCA do and donate via direct debit but wouldn't give them £2k if I had it, unless I had a hell of a lot more in my account.

It's obviously a big purchase for the user.

10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Whats the co.uk org net etc are they official sites? are you talking charity or something else? Money is immaterial if it helps and wasted if it doesn’t. Personally if it is a genuine cause e.g. cancer, blind, mental illness, homelessness etc and the seller wanted 2k I’d tell them to take a hike find an abbreviation another TLD etc thousands coming out reg one of them and give the £ to the charity

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  11. inbound United Kingdom

inbound Active Member

I've bought the name and just waiting for the transfer to complete. Ended up costing £1800 and I think that's a fair deal for both parties.

The name is a single word that has very large commercial relevance (the .co.uk would probably be 6 figures) but does not fit with commercial usage in the .org.uk extension. Thankfully, the .org.uk perfectly suits the project and I'm delighted that the seller had a realistic price.

Now I need to knuckle down and make the project a success, it's a big job but I'll enjoy it. Sorry I can't say just now what the domain is, I will consider whether to state what it is once the transfer is complete.

12. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

As someone who's bought/developed a lot of .org.uk's I'd be interested to know which 6 figure in .co.uk, sold for £1800 in .org.uk if you don't mind sharing at some point :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.