Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

any opinions on modelkits.co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by developdomains, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

just bought model kits co uk

regged in 1999

301,000 exacts in google

what would it worth to an end user? should I develop with an affiliate program (in time for xmas?)

any ideas/opinions appreciated!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

good name that, dont know about end user price but would make a nice aff site.
    loads of model kits out there like tanks/boats/cars and the list goes on plus the accessories to go with them like paints glue etc
    well worth developing in my opinion :cool:

4. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Nice name ;)

Not sure on value, as not my area, but good search volumes, and I imagine it's the kind of thing that people would happily buy over the internet as fairly light boxes...

If you can develop into a decent mini site, then I'd go down that road...

5. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

go affiliate, brilliant domain ;)

6. mat

mat Well-Known Member

As I said before, you got a good deal!! :)

7. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Don't we news to know how much was paid before thinking it was a good deal? Nice domain :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

I'm sure i previously enquired about this and they owner wanted a few ££££, hope you got a good deal!

9. philiporchard United Kingdom

I think somewhere in ££££ would be a good deal for this name.

10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Rather than just a standard affiliate site…? If you have the time...? Set up a forum try and get a tie in with the manufactures, distributors, shops (offer advertising in return for model kits, or chance for your members to visit there factory etc these could be offered to people that join your site do the most post etc helps build up a forum quickly ).. or publishers that do modelling mags in return for advert in there mags you allow advert on your, Hit the social network sites, clubs , forums etc, People can show kits they have built, rare models etc build up a buzz around it, Best model each day, week,month (different age catagories gets in young and old..) , could win a model supplied by one of the manufactures, Once you can get enough forum members start on sponsored pages for model of the week, paints, glues all associated products, mail shots offering members cheaper model kits etc then take a % straight from the manufactures etc If there is the sort of demand the search volume indicates you could quite easily net £ 500 + a week within a very short time, if you market it well get enough members in you could do very well.
    Its a good net product that in the main is cheap to produce and light enough to post

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very solid name to build a site on. You can divide by model genre (planes, trains, automobiles etc.) and then subdivide further. You can also slice and dice the listings by propulsion technology (if powered) e.g. Nitro, electric battery, etc and then of course you can do the same by make (both model kit manufacturer, and also make of the item being represented i.e. all Nissan car models from whatever manufacturer should be easily locatable in a single click on "Nissan")

Use the "canonical" meta-tag and 301 redirects if necessary to make sure that each unique page of content (e.g. Nissan Bluebird car model by Hornby) is reachable at one and only one unique URL, and make sure the title/meta description and the keywords inside the URL's directory/page naming system reflect the content of that page, and that kind of site should SEO extremely well.

Just a few off-the-cuff thoughts...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. developdomains United Kingdom

hi guys, thanks for the replies. I paid high £xxx for the name which I thought was a good price. my thoughts are down the affiliate route with a wp site and something like phpbay and an affiliate feed, directory of model shops/clubs and a forum.

love the idea - just worried it might take a while to implement?

Edwin - thanks for the comments, much appreciated. i think using wordpress and setting up correctly would achieve this. I think the site could be huge and earn quite a bit of commission, whether I will catch any xmas traffic will depend on how long it takes me to develop...

13. philiporchard United Kingdom

I'd say that you got yourself a real bargain. Well done.

14. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

You would never know if you don’t try...? Try a few medium sized manufactures … there are tens of thousands of different types makes and styles of models out there (many already have a html, adverting bumf etc you would need to do little work)

For me personally ticks all the boxes for development but I’m not a fan of affiliate mainly because never been able to make as much as I have out of developed sites… If not I'll offer you a profit on the name today because at £xxx you were ripped off ;)

15. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

Absolute steal mate!

I'd personally do a deal with a model shop and dropship their inventory.... Unless there are some awesome affiliate programs out there for it...

Should be able to build a nice longterm earner out of it.

If you can't and think you have bitten off more than you can chew PM me and I'll buy it off you ;)

Tom

16. developdomains United Kingdom

cheers chaps.

anyone care to offer an opinion of what it might be worth undeveloped to an end user (ie model shop) or developed with a site on it in top 5 position in google (in theory!)

17. philiporchard United Kingdom

I'd have thought mid £x,xxx to low £xx,xxx to an end user.

18. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

I'll start you at 2.5k anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.