Domain Manage

Anyone used SagePay? Pros & Cons?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by MCNM, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCNM United Arab Emirates

MCNM Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post but has anybody used SagePay before just had an email from Paypal saying they consider me a high risk and closed my account without appeal, locked the money in there for 6 months, great! So i need to find an alternative, i was thinking Sage pay has anyone used them before? What are the pros and cons?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

pros
    - great customer support
    - easy integration
    - quite cheap (£20/month)
    - easy to implement 3d secure

cons
    - yet to find any and been using long time
    - need a proper limited company/bank account
    - need to check that they'll accept what you're selling (medicine/chemicals/adult xxx dvd = no no)

to start trading with lloyds (cardnet)
    - take around 2 weeks to get going online
    - can get access to a terminal to take payments over phone

£350 to start trading (paid to lloyds tsb Cardnet)
    £50/month fees to trade with cardnet (plus percentage for transactions)
    £20/month feed to Sagepay

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. MCNM United Arab Emirates

MCNM Well-Known Member

I will be using it to sell digital items like product keys e.t.c do you know from your knowledge whether this would be accepted or not?

5. dotNetFreak

dotNetFreak Well-Known Member

Been using Protx/SagePay for the last 5 years and wouldn't look anywhere else - Only had to contact them a couple of times and that was when originally setting the account up.

Great systems, great API.

SagePay also offer a virtual terminal (included in the £20/month) which allows you to process telephone payments. You would however need two merchant accounts - One for "Online" and one for "Offline", but these would be placed under one overall merchant account with your choosen bank and if they charge a minimum amount per month you should only pay it if the combined transactional cut was less than the minimum amount, i.e. say your bank charges a minimum of £25/month and you process £x worth of transactions online which translates to £20 (their cut) and you process £x worth of transactions offline which translates to £6 (their cut), you shouldn't be charged the minimum fee of £25, as the two accounts combined did £26...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. dotNetFreak

dotNetFreak Well-Known Member

Your main challenge will be getting the merchant account - Banks aren't normally the brightest bunch when it comes to online trading, although this does vary from bank to bank. I don't think SagePay will object if you have been provided with a merchant account, but it's probably worth just dropping them an e-mail and asking.

If you have a good history with your current bank, have a word with your personal/business manager if you have one - They can normally assist with getting merchant accounts set-up.

It can also be worth speaking to other banks to find out what they will charge for a merchant account - Some are cheaper than others and some will be slightly more flexible than others as well. If your bank is going to charge you say 3% and another bank is going to charge you 2.75% - Tell your bank, if they value you as a customer they'll quite possibly drop their %.

7. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Shouldn't be a problem - as long as your credit history OK with bank should be fine getting a merchant account

8. MCNM United Arab Emirates

MCNM Well-Known Member

Thanks didnt know u had to have a special bank account to use SagePay i have a standard business account with HSBC will have a word with them to see if its suitable.

Fed up of PayPal, locked my money in there account for 6 months marvellous!

9. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

Been using SagePay (formally Protx) since 2005, had 1 problem which was resolved within 30 mins.

easy admin panel, £20 + VAT per month. All they do is transmit the data from your website form to the banks and return the answer.

safe and secure. recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.