Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anyone work in HR?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Retired_member41, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Unusual request as usual, but does anyone work in HR?

Two relatively easy questions to answer.

Does an employer have to insist that an employee takes their minimum statutatory holidays off, any legalities associated? If an employee works all year with no time off is the employer to blame etc

Other Q is via pm, regarding holiday entitlement

I've seen all the answers online but wondered if there was an HR expert around.

Thanks in advance.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but have had many staff under me in corp environments.

An employer can't allow you to waive your holidays i.e. knowingly allow you not to use your hols, however they don't have to force you to take the time off. Its generally the employee's responsibility to track their holidays without reminders to take them. Best practice is to suggest 2 weeks in the first 6 months of the holiday year and 2 weeks in the last 6 months so its easier for people to use their time.

Entitlement is essentially 28 days, or 4 weeks+8 bank holidays. If you don't normally work the particular day a bank holiday falls on, you lose that day. They are also prorata, so you only work 3 days per week, you get 4 x 3 (12 days)+8 bank hols, if you work 6 days, you get 4x6(24)+bank hols and so on.

A recent change in the law covering overtime, has just come in, where holidays are to include average overtime/bonuses/etc if its regular.

Its been about 3 yrs since I had staff, but I keep an eye on thinsg so its possible for their to have been minor changes, I haven't noticed or had training for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.