Domain Manage

Are you worried about Google local?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by khalid, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khalid United Kingdom

khalid Well-Known Member

I've noticed Google has been focusing more and more on local results recently, which is a concern if you own a generic site that doesn't have a listing.

Whilst I pay little attention to the majority of posts on UKBF, this one did reinforce my concerns.

Lately, and thankfully, I've been focusing on local sites so I am not overly concerned but I was wondering what the rest of you thought? I know a lot of AD members have minisites and information related affiliate sites selling products / hotels etc relating to local areas.

Does this concern you? And have you thought of ways around it?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. edo

edo Active Member

I was about to say it doesn't concern me and then I typed in a generic term such as "cameras" into Google.co.uk and half of the fold was taken up by local listings! No idea how you can get around it.

4. aaclapham

aaclapham Active Member

I would guess listing on page 2 of a search will get more hits as people bypass the rubbish on the front page.

5. FagEnd

FagEnd Banned

I'm more worried about google instant. To me it's a major pain in the arse. Not from a webmaster SEO point, from a google search user point.
    I know I can turn it off, but if I clear my cookies, google instant is back to default, gets on my tits

6. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

local

Some of our funny hotel traffic has completely vanished. But the strange thing is our quality sites have seen an increase in traffic....

7. FagEnd

FagEnd Banned

I thought you were getting out this game Doug, piss off and let us newbs find our niche :)

8. dougs United Kingdom

Getting out

Leaving the real business's:)

But still a shareholder in a few, so keep looking after my interests. Plus I am full of cold and been forced into the spare room by the family.

Doug

9. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

[​IMG]

poor old doug ,butler away again....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  10. dougs United Kingdom

only one

Thats the country house....what about the one in the city and the one by the beach?

Doug:)

11. richrf

richrf Active Member

Here in the U.S., Google Places is dominating the local shopping business though Yelp.com is a formidable competitor. No doubt Groupon and LivingSocial will be pressured by Google Places as Google rolls out their group buying program. At one time, I was thinking about getting into the local classifieds business but when I investigated, I saw that it was hopeless - particularly when it became clear that Google favors its own sites in its Search.

12. Marcoose Netherlands

Marcoose Well-Known Member

Ive got such a love hate relationship with Google. My sites perform like shite in other search engines so am thankful they are so dominant. On the other hand I hate the way G messes around with its listing so much , so often these days.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.