Domain Manage

AUS: Mandatory Voting

Discussion in 'General Board' started by tifosi, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Noticed in the current Australian GE that voting for over 18's is mandatory.

Wonder what would happen if that was the position here (and I'm in favour) for the UK general election.

Who would it favour? Even taking into account a higher spoilt ballot percentage, considering the abysmal <35% turnout that we have had in the last few GE's at least it gives the government a real remit, and not one just for the minority that voted. We'd have a real right to moan then!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

If they make it mandatory they need to add a "None of the above" option so that people can record their true vote.

4. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

It should be compulsory to vote, but (as suggested) an abstain option should be available. I'd like to see an on-line option as Thursdays are not a good day for us as a family, but would hate to think how they'd screw up this process.

5. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

I'd imagine forced voting may be a bad thing I can see a lot of people at the very least voting for the opposition to get back at the government making them do something they don't want to. At the worst they could make there protest voting for ultra right wing, monster raving loony or other fringe parties.
    If you don't care enough to vote so be it.
    I do agree the government should be looking at new technologies to bring voting into this century

6. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

The Australians really only pretend to care about politics. A 3k mile ocean barrier and a common agenda has pretty much sown things up at home - There's nothing to be changed even by 'enforced' voting - or even a change in Government.

So they have the luxury of being able to indulge "in lots of things" including compulsory voting

7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you ought to be forced into voting for anyone, but you should be forced into the process so you can indicate your choice to not note rather than not knowing whether you have a preference or are simply assuming the "usual" party will get in. Wouldn't it be good to see a few Monster Raving Looney party members having a seat :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.