Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

B2B .co.uk's - I still don't get it...

Discussion in 'General Board' started by expertc, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

Coming back to B2B domains. I am still struggling to understand why they are ignored at almost all levels of domaining industry.

If every consumer product worth 1p is registered, then top B2Bs even in industries like pharma are still free to reg!

For example I've just hand regged edmf_co_uk. Look, even .me and .eu are long gone. I would not even use the G keyword tool for any exacts, etc. I don't care in this case at all. EDMF stands for European Drug Master File - a document without which even a heartburn tablet can not enter the EU market. Every year 100's of new drugs are being developed, and their registration and approval process costs a lot (and I mean it!).

I just don't get it... :confused:

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Ah, but you had to know - or happen to look up - that EDMF stands for what it does. And on the consumer side that's easier than B2B. I agree that there are potentially rich pickings for the taking, but they come with a side serving of "work" in that you really have to dig deeply into relatively complex, unfamiliar topics to get all the decent B2B keyphrases for a given niche...

4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Out of interest, how many good B2B domain sales have you made to end users?

Thanks

5. expertc

Domain only: just one but at 2K. Projects are (well, were :() what I was mostly doing and that included domain+strategy.

6. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

I have something of a reputation for finding uses for names when people have run out of ideas, and 20 years experience in pharmaceuticals - but I am at a loss as to how you are going to make money out of edmf. The only people likely to have a use for it are training organisations, and they would probably prefer edmftraining or similar.

You going to register mhra,co,uk next? Oh, someone did that and redirected it to mhra.com . Just goes to show ...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. accelerator United Kingdom

Is it because domain prices reflect advertising spend rather than business budgets? B2B might be big business, but they don't need to advertise so much.

Rgds

8. expertc

Pharmachem is my industry ;) EDMF is a large market now. Number of generic API suppliers from Asia are under pressure to provide EDMF before being able to sell in UK / Europe. There are several companies that I am aware of in business of providing Drug Master Files to generic manufacturers to comply with the regulation. So I can see two markets both from product registration services and DMF / Research Facility direct documentation producers.

MHRA / FDA are pretty useless as domains, they are organizations, I believe mostly type-ins.

9. expertc

They do these days. Manufacturing has moved out of Europe. Producers from the Far East rely on the Net a lot.

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I would have thought there must be some kind of opportunity if one starts by looking at ____ tradeshows, where ____ is any given B2B industry. If say 10 to 20 exhibitors at that tradeshow all state "We provide XYZ" in their little summary blurb, then having the domain XYZ.co.uk might be of value to them, since they can then use it on their stand, in the tradeshow literature they hand out, on brochures etc.

Even if it helps them convert just a fraction of a percent more "lookers" into customers (because of the tiny credibility bump from the domain name) that could still bring them a great return if the product or service they're selling is itself inherently extremely expensive.

And let me tell you from experience: tradeshows are EXPENSIVE (can easily be £xx,xxx a time for all but the smallest space), even if you go down the quasi-homemade route for the stand decor. And if you go for custom displays, that can add another £xx,xxx! And then there's marketing collateral, staff transport, food and lodging costs etc. It gets mighty pricey mighty quick!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  11. expertc

I'd second that, simply product can be either expensive or in bulk quantities. Recently I have noticed many Chinese companies opting for exact chemical domains (some even double hyphenated - no wonder I hold their generic ;) mostly in developed form) so the understanding starts to creep in.

12. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

My earlier comment about tradeshows prompted another idea... if you decide to build out an informational, directory-type site on the domain name, why not start out by populating it with a listing for each exhibitor company from the list of exhibitors of a related tradeshow? You know they have cash, after all! And emailing them "about your listing in the directory" might be a great alternative way to break the ice and start a dialogue...

13. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Edwin, I've been selling to vendors for the last 15 years on (quality) events and IMO unless you had the most sh*t hot directory that produced quantifiable leads which led to deals you'd be wasting your time. You'll end up spending time promoting for free (they ain't gonna pay for it) all and sundry ending up without enough return to pay for your pet's next meal let alone for your time/hosting costs such is the state of marketing budgets.

14. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

My theory (untested, I admit) was to use the approach to sell the strengths of the name itself, under the guise of having the companies verify their listing. But perhaps that's reaching too far...

15. expertc

From my experience companies are more interested in product-specific information sites than in directories. If you put a lot of tech data, that attracts right type of visitors. At the same time some names, unfortunate enough to be mistaken for a consumer product are now out of the game.

For example, few days ago I've received a low xxx offer for sles_co_uk. When I've refused, the potential buyer told me that it's a good price for Linux domain. Only then I understood! What the heck? Since when the main meaning of SLES is Suse Linux Enterprise Server? For decades it stands for Sodium lauryl ether sulfate - something you find in each and every bottle of dish-washing liquid, shampoo, detergent, etc., etc. If you think about someone not familiar with the industry getting his hands on the name - what a waste.

16. accelerator United Kingdom

Do you actively market your B2B names to companies?

Rgds

17. expertc

I use to do "Projects", e.g. names covering certain subindustry + initial sites. After the structure got ranked I was getting enquiries or I could have contacted the companies directly. Unfortunately this is not an option for me now so you could see me putting more "blanks" for sale than I did for the last 7 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.