Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Basic Asp.net Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am trying to repair an old ASP.net script of mine. I have a rather basic question about retrieving querystring values in VB.net which seems more difficult than it should be. I am using:

Code:
Sub Page_Load(ByVal Sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

Dim strMerchantId As String = Request.QueryString("MerchantId")

End Sub

But when I try and display the output in the body of my HTML page, using this:

Code:
<%=strMerchantId%>

I get an error saying:

Compiler Error Message: BC30451: Name 'strMerchantId' is not declared.

I think this has something to do with the fact that the querystring is in the HttpRequest, and I've somehow got to get it from there to be made available to my page.

Can an expert shed any light?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I expect it's something like that. This is why I switched from ASP.net to PHP, as things in ASP.net always seem way more complicated than they need to be. However, it's an old script that I need to fix ...

Typical scoping problem. If you declare a variable within a sub or function, you can only use it within a sub or function.

That goes for pretty much any programming language.

Want to use it globally? Declare it globally :)

Or, just use <%=Request.QueryString("MerchantId")%> in line in the page.

Fully defined : System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Request.QueryString("blah")

You should be aware that you also need to handle null strings, etc. if the qs you want doesn't exist.

I wouldn't use that example of inline code, I could inject anything into "merchantid" and gain access to your database even.

Code:
http://www.accsite.co.tld/merchant.php?merchantid=666; DROP ALL TABLES;

I wouldn't even trust a data given to me by god himself, even if he proved he was god by turning the atlantic into wine, and giving me a footlong instead of this massive thing :p

If I ain't looked into it, verified its what I expect it to be, and as long as I expected it to be, and the type I expect, its going no where.

Yep, goes without saying. Dumping something out to the response isn't the same as putting it through a SQL connection though :)

Thanks for the further comments. I will now be running a MySQL query using the querystring. The page is in a password protected admin area, but once I get the script going I probably will add some simple querystring validation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom