Domain Manage

Being You

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by Bailey, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with avitars (and any other dream on) there is something missing in a frequently visited board (like Acorn) where members feel that they have a need for another personera. ( Yep and I'm Superman when he's sleeping)

I'm over the moon everytime somebody says hello - with a real identity - someone that you can say hello to

So there's Me, Edwin and maybe (not many/none others) - tragic.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

I think lots of people are open on here about who they are, most of them go by a different 'username' but have there real names in there sigs, or you can talk to them using that real name.

- Ashton (Ash/Ashley too)

4. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

Bailey maybe we're not as fortunate in the looks department as you and Edwin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

I don't know woopwoop (is that your real name?) I think you are better looking than Bailey, (is that your real picture?) I like the hooded monster look.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. davedevelopment United Kingdom

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

I've blogged/posted/chatted/tweeted under davedevelopment since 2005, so I wont be changing that any time soon, buy I've changed my avatar to be me especially for Bailey.

7. WigWam Singapore

WigWam Well-Known Member

Same here :p

WW.

8. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

I started my first business online when I was 12, people are judgemental and the internet is a great place to escape that. I was regularly thought of as being 20+ at just 12, so its a habit I have got into.

9. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

I couldn't be bothered uploading an avatar. But now I have because of this thread, so I guess perceptions of me will change from 'anonymous' to 'easily influenced' :p

10. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Well, I have to say, my avatar picture is me on a good day. :D

Even had my face done especially for the shot. ;)

PS: May add pic to Profile Photo area though, not avatar.

11. cc976a

cc976a Well-Known Member

I wonder whether being young for some prevent them adding a photo, for the fear of not being taken seriously...

...or perhaps not wanting a boss to know what they're up to in their spare time.

I've not uploaded an avatar, or anything, and username doesn't mean much apart from a a random combination of letters for a spam email address I could use on the web without affecting my primary email...but just stuck with me

Agree with Bailey, would make more personable if more did so may take a leaf out of blossom's book and add a photo (disagree with your thoughts it'll change people's perceptions of you, you offer good sound advice) - adding photos may even stop the ego throwing which did lead to people leaving, although it's stopped for most parts now which is good news - back to a happy little forum family!

12. JMOT

JMOT Well-Known Member

dunno what my avatar looks like...

13. alex

alex Active Member

I'm similar to Ash in that I started a business at the young age of 14. When I emailed suppliers I had no problem, but when I called or met with them funnily enough they didn't want to supply me.

This industry, as with many others, is full of negative stereotyping. As soon as people realise someone is young, old, female etc then there's the perception that they don't know what they're talking about etc.

Here's a great example of anonymity - http://menwithpens.ca/ - this site is run by a female content writer/designer who couldn't get any business. As soon as she rebranded her business guess what, lots of business!

As I'm now 22 and have some credibility with my suppliers and regular customers I have no problem showing who I am. My name and tag tell people my name and my profile shows my date of birth. I wouldn't have done that 2 years ago. As for the avatar, maybe I'll change it soon, but once you have one people associate you with it so it becomes the norm. The main thing is that people take you seriously, or not, based on who you are and what you know, not what you are. Unfortunately the associations with technology and stereotyping prevent this to a great extent.

14. gregfindley

gregfindley Active Member

Always been here under my real name, now updated my avatar from my logo to a pic too.

15. FC Domains

FC Domains Well-Known Member

I run a medium sized music based forum and going against Net 'traditions' we insist that your user name must contain your real first name (if only in brackets) and if you have an avatar it must be a recognisable picture of yourself.

The upshot of this is that spammers and trolls don't get a look in and people only post opinions that they would be willing to be accountable for.
    It also means that we recognise each out at music events and don't have to call each other by silly names. (Which is very handy when introducing.)
    At festivals we get 100+ members meeting up, because we know each other.

I think that those rules work make this forum seem a lot more business like.

16. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Yes, very valid points. It certainly would help recognise other domainers at events, and I agree that it would help with the "business-like" as well.

17. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Dono how easy a name change would be use it across a number of forums pic change is easy enough so I'll jump on the bandwagon

18. alex

alex Active Member

I've also changed mine - lets all be free :p

Edit: this is where we find out that we all knew each other anyway

19. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

Good points made in this thread, and I agree that it's nice to be able to associate faces to members.

I originally made my profile with the intention of it being for 'business use' (i.e. only for buying/selling, not for discussion) hence the slight anonymity. However, having now found myself using the forum more for participating in discussions, I should really get around to a rename. :)

20. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

i cant see any avatars???

21. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

Goto the top nav, then quick links, then Edit Options then scroll to: Thread Display Options

Check 'show avatars'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.