Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Best Hosting for multiple Wordpress sites ?

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by KingDomainNames, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

KingDomainNames Active Member

Thanks again for your replies.
    I’ve searched again on the Acorn forums, and the ‘sticky’ thread on the Website Design forum is useful, as are other threads, one namely by Aiden Roberts.

I also looked into:
    Tsohost.co.uk - good prices, but only hosts up to 6 domains.
    Xilo.net - the starter packages offer pretty good value.
    Bpweb.net - again, competitive deals.
    111webhost.com - good deals there, but it appears they don’t do multi-site hosting or reseller hosting.

Heart Internet, Evohosting and Krystal seem the favourites overall, based on the highest number of positive mentions I have found on AD.

Evo don’t do the reseller at the moment. :(
    Krystal’s reseller hosting page is not up at the moment - it is being re-developed.
    I did ask Krystal when their reseller page would be back up - no reply from them unfortunately.

Which leaves Heart Internet.
    I checked with their live chat (very handy) , and they answered my questions etc.
    For me, I think I prefer their Linux reseller hosting to just multi-site hosting with another provider.

@ peacock - wow, thank you so much for your kind offer, it is very much appreciated. I’m going to go with Heart on this occasion, but I hope to return your goodwill with interest in the future somehow.
    * For any newbies out there reading this, peacock’s link in his signature (http://wordpresshosting.org.uk) is a great reference to help you choose your hosting provider.

@ golddiggerguy Thanks again for your swift reply.
    I contacted Heart using their really good Live Chat facility (you did say they were good!) - they confirmed there are 16 Hostpay customisable templates to choose from, or I could just design my own website home page and add in their Hostpay template in a sub-directory/sub-folder if I wanted.
    They also confirmed that their ‘Jetpack’ install is just a standard install facility, just like Fantastico or Installatron, but their own version, and they said that any wordpress plug-ins can still be used as normal.
    I also want to add a wordpress blog to my site, but not sure whether to do it as a sub-domain or in a sub-directory.

Golddiggerguy: Do you find their themes attractive and customisable ? Or did you build your own website ?

Thanks again everyone - AD is like an encyclopedia of good advice !
    To other newbies out there: use the search facility, it’s awesome !

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

Update:
    Been on holiday, and about to sign up for Heart.
    Have recently seen the following threads regarding Heart Internet:

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/hosting/90686-host-europe-buys-heart.html
    >> Jimm's thread hasn't put me off going with HI.

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/hosting/90686-host-europe-buys-heart.html
    >> Currently still an ongoing thread. Interested in the opinions/outcome on this thread in case mp3's can't be hosted on a site I may host/run for a (in my case) local band (even if that band are, say, a band local to me and I have their permission to upload their mp3's to their website)

Will update again.

4. Sussexite

Sussexite Active Member

ProperHost.net

You might also like to have a look at ProperHost.net reseller package.

http://www.properhost.net/web-hosting-services.html

Very good value and when I had a problem a couple of months back the support was good.

I'm v happy with them, but can't say whether they are better than heart as I haven't used the latter.

5. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

Regarding my previous post, I put the same link twice. Sorry.

The second link was:
    http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/services-wanted/90969-heart-reseller-hostpay-expert.html
    and was regarding hosting mp3's/copyright content using Heart Internet's hosting.
    Update on this: have just had a chat with Heart, and they said I could upload mp3's/videos/pdf's etc. and if they looked at it and thought there may be an issue with copyright, then they would then look into it.
    They also said that uploaded file size is limited to 150Mb and the download limit is 25Gb per month per account, so if I had a reseller account, each of my new customers would have the 25Gb download limit.

@ Sussexite - thanks for the heads-up on Properhost.
    Had a quick look - can only find one review, and that was a good one.
    Servers based in UK and Californ-i-a, so I guess that is why the prices are in USD.
    Incredible price for what you get.
    Going to stick with Heart I think - going to go down the reseller route, rather than just multi-site hosting.
    Thanks again though Sussexite - I'm sure Properhost will suit others.

Cheers,
    Steve

6. djbw United Kingdom

djbw Active Member

Tsohost do do reseller. I've currently got the 'Small' package which I've been very happy with. PM if you'd like an affiliate link. ;)

It doesn't matter if you've never used Linux before, as cPanel means you don't need to get involved with the internal workings. Having helped someone out last night whose hosting uses Plesk, all I can say is stay the hell away from Plesk...

Unless you KNOW you need Windows hosting, I'd suggest going with Linux with cPanel.

7. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

It's always best to keep MP3 and video on another server IMO and use Jimm on here for Humber.TV and it works a treat.

8. mariogotze

mariogotze Member

Just use hostgator with one click wp install

9. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

Thank djbw.
    In my previous posts in this thread, I only mentioned TsoHost's regular web hosting, and omitted their reseller packages, so thanks for pointing that out.

I agree - Linux looks like the best option for my requirements.
    Thanks for the offer re: the affiliate link.

For the Heart fans out there, I can't see that they use cPanel.
    Is Heart's control panel as versatile as cPanel ?

Many thanks indeed.

10. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

@ golddiggerguy - I see. So if I had, say, 10 local band websites using Heart's hosting, you wouldn't put any of their music/videos up onto their server ?
    Had a look at Humber.tv - not sure what you mean about Jimm and humber.tv - sorry to sound thick.
    p.s. you recommended Heart Internet reseller in an earlier post - would you say their control panel (whatever it is) is as good/smooth/versatile as cPanel ?
    Many thanks.

@ mariogotze - thank you for your suggestion.
    I'm looking at UK based servers though.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  11. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

Hearts CP is very much like Cpanel and does take a bit to find you way around it but once you've got it you then realise how good it is.

Jimm who's on here offers servers that are just built for video, MP3 etc and doesn't have anyh extra system running that a server usually has.

I have many sites with heart and if any need videos etc storage I creat a sub domain. Humber Tv's has a sub domain static.humber.tv and so just have the path for all my videos to that server rather than Hearts.

Works out more money obviuosly but keeps things smoother.

Humber tv isn't on Heart yet just going through a redesign and revamp of how it works. ;)

12. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.