Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Brand names in domains

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by easyshop, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easyshop

easyshop Member

What are the restrictions when registering domains that incoporate a brand eg yahoosearch.com ?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. poetry

poetry Active Member

basically they are not allowed!

4. easyshop

easyshop Member

So how come you can register them if they are not allowed ? Are you saying that you can register them but of little or no value as re-sale ?

5. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

The registry doesn't care what you register. The brand owner surely will, and you will not be able to park it in some places. Stay away from TMs.

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

If you try and profit from someone else's brand, then you are opening yourself up to legal action under intellectual property law. I would advise against it, but that's not to say some people don't try it.

Generally speaking the brand is not going to like it, it's not worth the hassle in my opinion. If you were dead keen on starting a site with a domain containing someone's brand, you could ask express permission, but then that's a lot of hassle too.

Stick to high quality generic domain names - that's where the real potential is anyway.

7. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

8. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

I would suggest to anyone who is willing to run the risk, to include some text on the site saying:

This website is not in anyway part of the company name and is only for fun and information purposes to the public only. Any questions or issues regarding this website or domain then please do contact us here.

At least it gives them an opportunity to contact you first as a company not through solicitors. (and don't be daft enough to use a logo or brand image)

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

I know a few are going to say just don't do it but for those who do, do it.

Just out of interest who are willing to use brand names on here and how many do you have ;) ? I have 7 at most.

You see domains all the time been posted in some way or form. e.g. iphone this T-Mobile that. 3phones here etc...

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  9. easyshop

easyshop Member

Thanks for all the feedback I undestand better and will steer clear from brand names in domains:)

10. ehoms

ehoms Member

you should not be using tm domains but when you find a typo with thousands of visites a month, its very hard to stay away from them.

11. Domainosaur

Domainosaur Member

Easyshop...

heed the advice and do a Google search on "WIPO". A few of my first domains years ago had "realtor" in them. Found out this year that Realtor is trademarked (dumb, I know) even though it is about as generic as you get. They have been eating their own who have put up geo or niche sites. No calls to me yet thank goodness. So if anyone wants some good real estate domains, I have a few for sale. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.