Domain Manage

Brexit: The movie

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by RobM, May 29, 2016.

1. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Just got round to watching this. Wow. Is everything in that documentary true because I didn't know half of it? Interested to hear from anyone but especially those who are against an exit.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. bonusmedia United Kingdom

bonusmedia Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Like most propaganda it contains some true facts but it's hardly a balanced view :)
    I wouldn't call it a documentary

4. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

5. RobM

Yeah was just hoping someone could tell me what the lies were in this film. I know it's not balanced that's why I asked. Also I'm aware of the debate thread but that is people's opinions - I was more interested in knowing what was said that was true and what was a lie.

6. bonusmedia United Kingdom

It's a bit of a big ask for someone to sit through it and fact check it for you but from what I can tell it's mostly unsubstantiated opinion from rent-a-gobs.

I tried watching it, Melanie Phillips is in it inside the first minute. I'm not much interested in the opinion of someone who doesn't believe in climate change, says vaccines cause autism, is against gay rights, rejects peace in Northern Ireland, supports Trump and makes her living spouting outrageous bigotry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RobM

No I didn't ask anyone to fact check it for me - was asking somebody who might *know* more. Thanks for your opinion but, as it says nothing about anything raised in the movie, I guess I'll have to 'fact check' it myself. Didn't realise the whole for and against thing was solely on gut feeling. I thought somebody might have done some research. My bad.

8. RobM

Never mind found a couple of sites doing line for line analysis about the actual content.

9. bonusmedia United Kingdom

The film is propaganda which generally appeals to emotion rather than reason. It's not a good starting point for research. It's very difficult to prove conjecture right or wrong.

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

11. AlistairM United Kingdom

AlistairM Active Member

Honestly I don't know whether everything in the film is true or not. As it's pro Brexit it's obviously biased, but that doesn't mean what it is saying is untrue. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's 100% factual either. I've heard the same sort of information from other people though, but whether you can believe them or not comes down to how much you trust them I suppose. Here's some information on MEPs though that might be of interest. http://www.europarl.org.uk/en/about-us/faqs.html#TOP

As for Edwins article, that's obviously biased towards remain and doesn't offer much that would likely stand up to scrutiny from what I can tell.