Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Brit movie pirate gets 4yrs

Discussion in 'General Board' started by scooter, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

The techdirt "review" is skewed.

It fails to mention a ltd company being set up. I presume he did this in hope that his liability would be limited?

It fails to mention Dominica offshore company and all revenue funneled to Latvia. Hardly the act of an innocent student.

It does mention:
    "A private party should never be able to get the computers of those that they're accusing in a criminal case"

And also states:
    highlighting how FACT didn't just take part in the raid, but it financed the government agency that did the investigation and then financed and ran the criminal prosecution against Vickerman.

Lee explains that this is an oddity/antiquity of UK law, in which private parties are actually allowed to bring criminal charges against other private parties,

No oddity there. Is this not what they call a private prosecution? Just as in the Steven Lawrence case and many others. So I would presume it's acceptable for a private parrty to have access to the computers of those that they are accusing if they are bringing a private prosecution

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Initially I thought 4 years was over the top, almost setting a scary example just for the sake of it. However, on reflection, if a house thief 'stole' £300,000 worth of tangible goods year after year, then the sentence actually seems quite soft.

4. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

I 'do' see why in this case there is intent to link to copyright content, but the sentence is insane
    Is it? bearing in mind he made £600K over a 2yr period from other peoples hard work.

I doubt if he has even paid any UK tax given a Dominica offshore company and all revenue going to a bank in Latvia.

You could beat someone to a pulp or plough someone down in your car and get a shorter sentence than that
    This is insane.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  5. DannyB United Kingdom

DannyB Active Member

This guy got 4 years for killing 4 people

Daily Mail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.