Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Businesses need to plan ahead as hundreds of new domain name endings could be here wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score
Business: Business website, Domain names, Ecommerce

We could be less than a year away from one of the biggest shake-ups in the way the internet works as the first of a range of new domain name endings are launched and in some cases made available for users to register.

ICANN, the global organisation which is responsible for the Internet’s naming system, revealed details in June of the applications they received to operate a new generic top level domain (gTLDs).

read more

More...

Very poor advice, especially if small businesses are reading it. They will NEVER have the budget to successfully "brand" a random extension in their customers minds, so they will forever waste opportunities as people visit the ".co.uk" version of their ".whatever" site.

My only concern is .uk, is nominet going with this and do you think .co.uk will get first grandfather rights?

My only concern is .uk, is nominet going with this and do you think .co.uk will get first grandfather rights?

If they do eventually go with .uk, then the only way to avoid a million lawsuits will be to grandfather in .co.uk owners. Think of all the hundreds of thousands of companies, many with very deep pockets, which have built their online presence on .co.uk, and you can see the legal minefield awaiting them if they don't.

Sorry missed your reply Edwin... I really hope this is the case! I haven't invested tens of thousands in .co.uk's for them to be undermined by .uk

If they do eventually go with .uk, then the only way to avoid a million lawsuits will be to grandfather in .co.uk owners.
Is that what they did with org.uk,,, or why should co.uk have priorty over them ?
Pretty sure its not entirely what they do with new tld’s either? That could also have implications for the new wave of TLD etc

Last edited:
Is that what they did with org.uk,,, or why should co.uk have priorty over them ?

The cynic in me would suggest that it's probably because the massed .co.uk owners have >1,000x as much legal firepower at their disposal as the ranks of .org.uk domain owners.

Have they not applied in the first round? I did see the list at while back but can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom