Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Buy One Get One Free from Nominet

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Skinner, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Seems they at least put it on both 1 and 2 yr registrations.

All Extensions under .UK.

The bold means you can't have bob.co.uk and smith.co.uk has to be bob.co.uk and bob.org.uk so not such a great deal.

The italics is interesting.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Email from Nominet today:

***Buy One Get One Free***

We will soon be celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the .UK namespace with a Buy One Get One Free promotion from 1 September to 30 October 2015. We appreciate that not all registrars will be able to participate, however each qualifying registration will be free of charge to all our registrars. For the full campaign details please go to - http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/marketing-tools-and-events/30anniversary

4. foz

foz Well-Known Member

So for a month, I get .uk free on my .co.uk drop catches.

Brilliant, was getting them anyway.

Seems stupid Nominet side, giving away product.

It's not like they are .whatever and have to resort to such tactics.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  5. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

This is all about pushing .UK if you ask me. After creating a clusterf#ck, they are trying to make it look popular and show growth.

The order they list it .uk, .co.uk, org.uk etc says something, so I think the free domain to get domainers taking the .UK where they currently don't, and on the other side get the registrars to push .XYZ by giving them free, oh wait not xyz, I mean .UK :p

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

And the part I bolded is a good thing, right?

If we start from the assumption that .uk exists (i.e. the situation NOW rather than 18 months ago) then surely it can only be beneficial to see it taken up and used as widely as possible - otherwise things are going to get very messy in 4 years time.

The "is there a need for .uk" argument has been had and won/lost - either way, it's definitively over now since .uk is here and there is no rational scenario in which Nominet would "switch .uk off" again. So what we are left with is the consequences.

7. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

No one is asking for Nominet to "switch .uk off" as far as I can see, I think we're all aware it's here to stay. But that shouldn't stop any discussion over points where Nominet appear to be doing patch-ups of its shabby decisions.

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

My point was simply this: it is more productive/useful to discuss the "how" not the mess that has got us here. Otherwise, we have the situation in which pretty much every thread that mentions .uk veers into "Nominet were &*%& for launching it" and gets sidetracked as a result.

I think there's a very strong, obvious consensus that .uk was misguided. Why can't we take that as read, and move on to focus on the situation now and how it could possibly be improved*?

*for example, Nominet's 2-for-1 offer qualifies as an "improvement" (maybe not a big one, but it is at least a step in the right direction)

9. foz

foz Well-Known Member

BTW haven't sold one .uk yet.

Where I have both, they just buy the .co.uk.

Anyone else just sold a .uk on it's own (end users sales)?

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

No, and I took the blurb about the .uk off my sales lander as I found it just confused potential buyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.