Domain Manage

Buyer identity?

Discussion in 'Sedo' started by boxerdog, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxerdog

    boxerdog Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2007
    Posts:
    3,663
    Likes Received:
    33
    Is there any way to find out the identity of a person who has put in an offer for one of your names?
     
  2. Domain Forum

    Acorn Domains Elite Member

    Joined:
    1999
    Messages:
    Many
    Likes Received:
    Lots
     
  3. boxerdog

    boxerdog Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2007
    Posts:
    3,663
    Likes Received:
    33
    All sorted, thanks.....hhhmmm now what to do :confused:
     
  4. RobM

    RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2012
    Posts:
    1,089
    Likes Received:
    36
    You managed to get hold of the person who made an offer?
     
  5. mattyr45 India

    mattyr45 Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2012
    Posts:
    577
    Likes Received:
    2
    If so that was quick!
     
  6. boxerdog

    boxerdog Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2007
    Posts:
    3,663
    Likes Received:
    33
    Did some investigating and the company has just taken the co and net and wants my com and co.uk but not offering enough and I don't want to scare them away so need to do some thinking :rolleyes:
     
  7. ratboy United Kingdom

    ratboy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    2,399
    Likes Received:
    43
    Sounds to me like they have got personally attached to the name, and would therefore be worth pushing a bit.
     
  8. mattyr45 India

    mattyr45 Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2012
    Posts:
    577
    Likes Received:
    2
    Happened to me recently, few months prior to offer, someone purchased the plural and put 'the' in front of both terms.

    Assumed it was them, but it was a competitor.

    Obviously if it's same day it must be them!

    Good Luck!
     
  9. Bailey United Kingdom

    Bailey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2009
    Posts:
    3,427
    Likes Received:
    73
    been in that position a couple of times - Keep in mind.

    1. Only they know how much they particularly want the term that you hold.
    2. registering the other two extensions is as cheap as chips, they may have other back-ups
    3. Allow for the negotiation to go on and on, possibly upto 6 months. (ie it's a future project)
    4. Buyers that usually show their hand in this way rarely have a good grasp on the cost of purchasing on the after market. Particularly when they've used sedo for the anonymity
     
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. Simon United Kingdom

    Simon Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2010
    Posts:
    265
    Likes Received:
    3
    It's a tricky one, I completely agree with bailey on points 1 and 2 just because they have bought the other extensions doesn't mean they are a dead cert. Go with what your happy with..
    My reasoning is because of this:
    Last year I got a £1000 offer on sedo, for a dictionary .com from the uae research showed they had just regged the .net/.org/.mobi and .info through a wildwest reseller.
    I countered 5k expecting a dialogue they replyed the original offer was the max I replyed we would have a deal at £3000 and they cancelled the conversation.
    The other domains are in the process of dropping.

    I made the following mistakes,
    -presuming anyone starting at 1k had more money
    -presuming an because of the Arab country they would be expecting to haggle.
    -thinking because they had bought the other extensions they would pay what a higher price.
    -over valuing a domain which I would probably accept a grand for now.

    Couple questions if the OP does not mind?
    Is there anyway to find out more info regarding buyer ie almost agreeing to te contract to see the name (ie not pushing the button) I'm sure this used to work I reverse for buyin a domain when looking for owners addresses where there was a private Whois. (it no longer seems to)

    Also has anyone had success at reducing the buyitnow to below the offered price
    on a failed negotiation? I read on another forum that this would alert the original bidder.
     
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  11. Brassneck United Kingdom

    Brassneck Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    3,097
    Likes Received:
    29
    Yes on sedo it says this

    "Set your domains at a fixed Buy Now price and all previous bidders will be notified about the new price and can purchase the domain name instantly!"

    Worth a try if you are happy to reduce prices.

    Stephen.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fish United Kingdom

    fish Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2006
    Posts:
    2,725
    Likes Received:
    27
    The above worked for me on a couple of occasions, they were in the low £xxx range.
     
  13. namealot United Kingdom

    namealot Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    2,092
    Likes Received:
    45
    Do you have private whois on the names turn it off see if the contact you direct gives an indication as to there domain knowledge..?

    If a price scares them so what? I see it is either I’m overpricing or there clueless and chances of either side changing there minds are pretty slim...
     
  14. sdsinc Iceland

    sdsinc Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    494
    Likes Received:
    9
    Quite a few time, we have dealt with buyers wanting to secure the .com of a ccTLD they own.
    Always look at the location in the profile of the bidder.
    No later than yesterday, got an offer for a .com, European buyer and he registered the local ccTLD equivalent just a few days ago. Now it's obvious who the other party is.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page