Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Cameras.org.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by edo, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottsmith United States

scottsmith Active Member

I didn't think it was cheap, to be honest the winning bid of £1555.00 was the figure i entered before I went out so was my max price. Happy with the purchase but i would have been even happier if it has been £1k :)

Scott

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. shaym

shaym Active Member

Funny how often the winning bid is your max absentee bid. Makes you wonder at times.

4. rob

rob Founding Member

Lets look then.

http://domainlore.co.uk/cameras.org.uk

£1555 is a nice non-round obscure bid (unless you are an idiot Acorn user who sees such bidding as cheating ;) ) which is sensible auction strat.

Looking at the runner up, 'Buyer 3':

£1,552 Buyer3 08-07-2011 16:26:15
    £1,452 Buyer3 08-07-2011 16:15:57
    £1,352 Buyer3 08-07-2011 16:13:07
    £1,252 Buyer3 08-07-2011 16:10:17
    £1,151 Buyer3 08-07-2011 16:09:49

£100 increments near enough, with the non-round obscure number at the end. Started with £1 ended the rest in £2. If he had gone with £6 he might have got it :)

Nice enough variation in time to make it look legit to me as well.

Name priced about right, fair bit of effort to gain extra £400, and I think DL is far more active than bigger sites in policing dodgy bids.

So yes, I wonder at times, but in this case I dont.

5. urbanvilla

urbanvilla Active Member

Yes i have questioned this myself,i have been run up to the max a few times with odd figures ...

6. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Simple reason for why it happens. If the highest proxy bid isn't as high as the next required increment, then it appears to just go to the maximum amount bidded by the current highest bidder.

For this reason, if you're not in the lead, it should be an extremely easy way to tell if your bid will almost be the top bid and only require less than the next minimum increment amount for you to become the highest bidder.

Think I've worded that correctly. :)

7. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Cheers wb, Now I'm totally confused -

Whereas before simply :confused:

8. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Haha, I'll try to explain a little better using this auction as an example. I think this is what happens anyway, haven't looked into it too much but it does make sense.

The bid increments were £50.

Bidder 1 bids maximum amount £1555.

Bidder 2 bids maximum amount £1552.

This second bidder bidding £1552 means that the proxy bid from bidder 1 should go up to £1602 due to the £50 bid increment. That's not possible due to the maximum bid from bidder 1 being only £1555, so instead it goes up to that limit as it's all there is available.

If the maximum bid from bidder 1 had been £1655, the auction would have finished at £1602 (£1552 bid from bidder 2 + £50 proxy increment).

By looking at the bids and seeing the auction hasn't hit the minimum £50 increment after bidder 2 placed their bid (in this case it was only £3), it can be seen that the maximum bid made by bidder 1 was £1555.

The words bidding/bidder/bids are used a lot above, which probably doesn't help to make things easier to understand really... :)

9. shaym

shaym Active Member

Wb that would imply that the domain being auctioned could in fact be run up to the highest proxy bid by anyone who understands how the bidding works. Making the current in-the-lead bidder pay top dollar. In effect other domainers could just run you up to your max for the hell of it :confused:

Thats if Ive understood you correctly ;)

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case. In the above example, bidder 2 would only see that bidder 1's top bid was set to £1,555 by looking what happened AFTER they bid £1,552. Had bidder 1's top bid been £1,551 instead, bidder 2 would then have become top bidder.

11. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

I doubt that is the case, it wouldn't always work if someone was trying this method of raising it. They might bid in £50 increments, see that the next highest bid is still £50 up and assume going by your method it is safe to knock it up another £50. They do so, oops, the highest bid was only £25 away and now the "bid raiser" has accidentally won it.

I think.

12. wb

wb Well-Known Member

You haven't. ;)

Correct. :)

13. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  14. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.