Domain Manage

cameras

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by Reg Wharf, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reg Wharf United Kingdom

Reg Wharf Active Member

Hi guys,

I need to take pictures of landmarks and products for my website but I know
    absolutely nothing about cameras, in fact I've never owned one.
    What is the minimum pixel requirement to take a decent picture or what do I need to spend to get a decent camera for this purpose.

Also, on the few occasions I've downloaded pictures they seem to be massive. How do I cut them down to the correct size. I've been using
    ShrinkPictures.com which is free but not great on quality. Is it possible to take a "smaller sized picture" with a camera?

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

You should look at irfanview as a free option, of thumbs plus as a cheap paid version.

For internet use, a 1mp camera will do you for the most part, I personally always shoot at the highest resolution as sometimes getting closer isn't possible and the optical zoom sucks.

Digital zooms are bad by the way they degrade the quality.

4. pbryd United Kingdom

pbryd Active Member

Any compact camera would suit your needs for taking photos and using them on the web.

I wouldn't spend any more than £100.

Don't worry about how many megapixels it has, and don't think a 12mp camera is better than an 8mp camera just because it has more pixels.

I'd look for one that has some image stabilisation (most have) and scene modes, eg portrait, night scene, lansdcape etc.

I prefer compacts with rechargable lithium batteries rather than standard AAs because they tend to be smaller. lithium batteries hold their charge really well.

I have a Sony cybershot w130 and it's great.

For software try

http://www.gimp.org/

5. infoman66

infoman66 Member

Since you want to upload images on the web, it is irrelevant what the picture will be, you have to optimize it...
    To reduce your weight in kb picture and you keep solid quality, use some graphical tools, like Photoshop or Fireworks. (Reducing to 65% quality gives the best results - the smallest file and maximum image quality)...
    No matter what you photograph shot by your camera, I suggest that you use the filter "adjust color - curve"...
    3 steps to optimize image:
    1. Reduce image quality
    2. Reduce image size
    3. Crop the image

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.