Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Car crash - would you claim?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by BREWSTERS, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wb

wb Well-Known Member

I disagree, they are not the right reasons to be making a claim at all. A claim shouldn't be made on the basis of what could happen to others in future or on principles, it should be based on what has already happened to you or what consequences will happen as a direct result. Future scenarios such as the one you mentioned would go on 'balance of probability' if there was any doubt as to what the case was.

Brewsters, it does sound like she has a genuine case though so I would go and see your local solicitor and get some advice from there. Hope she has a quick recovery and gets back to normal soon!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

The point is, that the victim is genuinely injured (brewsters wife) and therefore there is a genuine cause to claim. My point is not to let it slide because of the solicitor saying it was his wifes fault. Obviously I wouldn't advise claiming if not injured ;]

4. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

It's 2011, all cars should be fitted with onboard dash mounted video cameras that capture the whole of your journey.

Personally, I haven't driven since 1989, but if I was to drive nowadays, I would install a video camera on my dash to cover me in the event of an accident, and if the accident was my fault, it would also show that.

5. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

I've had a few silly accidents that were not fought properly by the insurance companies, so I ended up taking all the blame. This was, in every case, because some desk pilot couldn't be bothered to argue, and wanted an easy life.

The other party got away with it each time because I was not able to argue directly with the other insurance company, so I wasn't informed that argument was needed until after the case was settled. Company insurance or a vehicle leasing company, there is always some desk jockey that can't be bothered as long as he isn't blamed.

There was one bloke who claimed over £1000 when I knocked his parked motorcycle over at 2mph - you'd think I ran the van over the bike if you read the claim. If that's not enough, his tax disc was a month out of date, so he was technically uninsured.

I just cracked a plastic fairing, so I left him my tel no. on a note - he actually said to me "It's an insurance claim. why not try it on?" when he called me. Didn't consider that the insurance claim put me in a very bad position with my employer. And the insurance tw@t desk driver didn't even bother to check about that tax disc, just laid down and got walked over.

It's only one example. I could give a few more - don't trust a desk pilot to fight your corner, even if you are in the wrong. It's even more irritating if you are in the right and some twit rolls over ... and you get told about it later.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  6. Frog

Frog Active Member

That wouldn't have mattered... I had a car written off in a complete no-fault accident (someone crashed into the back of me while I was waiting to come out of a slip road). Turned out I had no driver license... still got paid out in full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.