Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Catching a domain, who should I use?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by ian, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

(when you say registered I assume you mean booked)

One problem when you're new and booking domains is that you don't recognise names/tags of domainers who are 99% likely to renew before it drops.

I remember just over a year ago when i first started getting interested in domains I think I booked 5 A Hugh ones in a row before I noticed they don't drop :(

If it's an A hugh domain it wont drop, forget about it.

If the name of the registrant is the same as the registrar you can most likely forget about it too (all though not always in the case of CHARD lately).

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. ian

ian Well-Known Member

I'm only at the start of this journey but I'm sure you never stop learning what does and doesn't work. We shall see what happens with this particular domain, but there are always more!

4. Thanks for the mention Dave, much appreciated.

5. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Which site is yours?

6. Hi Ian,

It's Drop.co.uk.

7. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Have you considered looking through the bargain threads on here to see what you might be able to usefully pick up cheap?

If you are very selective you may well find some names as good as any that you are likely to catch with a public catch service.

Stephen

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

You never know, just from catches from public dropcatchers I'm into the high £x,xxx for the past year.

Can't speak highly enough of dropsystem, drop, domainwatchlist & dacr.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  9. ian

ian Well-Known Member

It is a good option and I may do just that should I find specific ones I have an interest in. Narrowly missed out on an auction the other day and trying to tempt another seller to accept my offer, but on the whole, I'm looking to try my luck at the bigger drops, even though the chances are slim to none. I've read too many stories on here of some getting too overloaded with domains worth very little and don't want to follow that route myself.

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Dacr don't seem to be taking new bookings as far as I can understand it which is a shame!

11. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Weird I can.

You will have to ask Tifosi on here, he runs it.

12. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Thanks, sent PM.

13. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

The news is old and out of date, I *think* Stephen was updating his drop lists, much like other public catchers they suspend bookings for a while. They are accepting bookings again now :)

14. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Still have the same message:

"We are currently not taking bookings until further notice. Domains pre-booked will continue to be monitored.

For further info please contact us."

Will email for clarification!

15. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Stephen has fixed the issue for anyone wondering. He had left the booking flag off and was wondering why he was quiet! :D

16. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Has anyone used daily.co.uk or dropcatcher.co.uk to catch domains? Any success? I've avoiding them thus far because they charge up-front with no refunds. The only exception I made was dropsystem.co.uk as I've been told by a few they are one of, if not the best. Also domainrecovery.net, any good?

(I'm always hesitant to provide cc details until I've had recommendations)

17. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen either catch anything contested, and I've been catching for about 18 months now. So I can't recommend them, but please wait to hear from others first.

18. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

i've had limited success with dropcatcher, they do swoop in occassionally and score, but not so often. I'm mobile at the mo so no examples to hand.

Daily dont appear to gave a drop catch script per se more a cron that routinely checks, could be manual regs mixed in with what I see but they never seem to beat other catchers.

Edit DropCatchers most notable catch from memory was scheme.co.uk, i'm theres 1 or 2 others more recentbtoo.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.