Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Catchy name domains ?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Bailey, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Really just a sidetrack to the recent offering of "joebloggs.com" (not mine) here at Acorn. I quite like it and given my own little prized domains of thedon/s.com . I would be interested how their viewed from UK domainers ,

names like

TheKing
    JohnDoe
    JoeBloggs (listed here)
    TheDon (mine)

Obviously they need to have universal appeal as .coms. Your casual opinions, valuations won't represent an offer to buy - honestly ;)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

The Dons? Means nothing to me, so I say its worthless to be honest.

4. There not my bag either, don't see how you would earn anything from them unless you piled in thousands on marketing.

5. johnnyboy Moldova, Republic of

johnnyboy Active Member

TheKing - a username that a 10 year old would use on a kids' forum.

JohnDoe - think this is more of an American phrase so domain is more geared towards them.

JoeBloggs - Not bad. But not that good either.

TheDon - is that some reference to the mafia? You could maybe get a few quid for this if you sold this to Tony.

On the whole, I don't think the domains are worth a great deal here to UK buyers.

6. SF

SF Well-Known Member

I think there crap to be honest

7. PaulK

PaulK Well-Known Member

Catchy domain names

I agree they’re not everyone’s cup of tea and this is probably not the place to list such domains from a sales point of view…….but you know what, that’s what this place is all about! Discussing domains in general.

I for one enjoy reading the post’s and opinions on the site.

Your either an Exact’s or brandable domainer….the two don’t normally mix, doesn’t mean another’s domain are worthless.

Me, I wouldn’t buy a domain for 5K just because Google told me that 35k people searched for that product that month……..but domainer’s do and make a nice living from it and good luck to them.

I recently sold Flexicruise(dot)com to a big high street travel agent for 5 figures it cost me £4.95 via Godaddy, I listed it here and no one was interested, which doesn’t surprise me.

I spoke to the buyer for TC and asked him why (as far as I could see) they didn’t pursue “Exact match” domains, he gave me 2 answers

1. We don’t have to, we have a marketing budget and aren’t solely reliant on passing trade. We can turn the traffic on and off as we like via marketing

2. We own thousands of domains, did you really think you had beaten us to the market place ! if we’re offered a domain we like then we buy it. But most of them come into that “Nice to have” category, which unless we are going to launch a campaign just sit there.

Me, I like the chase that comes with domains such as JoeBloggs(dot)com which is why I hit the auctions to see what I can pick up, sometimes a challenge selling them on but that’s the fun.

Just my opinion

Paul

8. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

JoeBloggs - wouldnt there be TM issues with that as its a clothing line :confused:

9. PaulK

PaulK Well-Known Member

TM Issues

No, why should there be

Unless the end user is planning on a fashion site there's a host of products out there that require a memorable name.

Let's face it, like the name or not.......your hardly likely to forget it!

and that's the point.

10. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

just wondering as i used to wear joebloggs jeans when i was a boy, they have a site: joebloggsclothing.co.uk

nice name though ;)

11. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I just regard them as brandable domains, with which you might make a great sale ... but only once in a blue moon. I prefer generics as they're easier to value. If you are going to try brandables, I wouldn't reg too many unless you are very good at promoting, as the renewal fees might make life difficult.

Rgds

12. PaulK

PaulK Well-Known Member

Catchy domains

Thanks, remember them well.

Didn't have them in mind when i bought the name........i think Joe Bloggs has been a well known term or maybe catchphrase for as long as i can remember.

13. PaulK

PaulK Well-Known Member

Been doing it a while now with good results, normally at least 1 sale every 5-6 weeks.

Again it all depends on your game plan, some flip a lot of Exact domains and do very nicely, some build them out......good luck to them all.

Me, i like the chase as i said.....most are bought at auction so i need to offload them pretty quickly.

Some you win, some you lose.

14. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys, I must admit i'm quite surprised by some of the replies.

I agree brandables are not everyones cup of tea but, I'm still surpised by the degree of rejection. It would seem almost like comparing a purely technical approach to domaining to an artistic one. Don't get me wrong without a good understanding of the processes for the technical approach or the palette of the artist neither of us would be getting anywhere. It may also explain why when I vist many a good domain name built as a site - you see colours and layout that really lack visual appeal and cohesiveness. There really are two sides of the brain at work here and it appears they don't cross over too well here at Acorn.

Like PaulK i have done very well out of brandables and believe me it isn't the hit or miss scenario that some of you think it to be. I can ponder a phrase or letter combo for literally days sometimes even weeks before arriving at an optimum 'phrase' or wording usage and the domain actually evolves before you take the step to registering - of course that means we have the luxury of time to think before we register.

just as aside I do get fairly frequent approaches for thedon over it's registration period, certainly several dozen - I tried to curtail that by pushing the registration out to it's max 10 years, most aproaches by, if not all from Americans i agree.

I do think that there is a balance that can be struck between creativity and functionality of domain names but, I'm guessing most of you guys are too busy (and happy) with the development side of working generics.

And hey I'm all for further understanding, hence my frequent requests for some appraisals here for some of the generics I do own. Before arriving at Acorn i believed the .org.uk had absolutly NO commercial appeal whatsoever and was completely extinct outside the Womens Institute, and i still find it hard to accept the reality

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  15. PaulK

PaulK Well-Known Member

Catchy domains

".org.uk had absolutly NO commercial appeal whatsoever and was completely extinct outside the Womens Institute"

LMAO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.