Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Checking you've not lost any domains

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by Toonz, May 27, 2016.

1. danielcoates

danielcoates Active Member

I hated Notepad++, and I learnt to code in 'notepad.exe', so even that is an improvement, the great thing about Atom is that it's supported by tons of extensions :D

For something as simple as just checking a list of domains, your probably right, it's overkill. NameChase will be more than that, it's going to manage the whole thing, drop lists, keyword lists, tag management and more I have yet to think about. In the long run, I would rather have the simplicity of using open source packages, and concentrate on the specifics of the app then worry about things like a database class.

Composer, is a back-end system, and is nothing more than a package manager, it's used to manage packages and dependencies, it has no face, certainly not a pretty one :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Oh right, I were thinking composer were like the old VB Rad which operated inside atom. I'm mobile at the moment so haven't looked into it.

I learned in notepad too.

I've already built most of those bits, not done keywords as moz/majestic is costly for my own use.

Rob (domainview) just added tag control panel tools and some other stuff. Pretty sure money is in catching and metrics.

How far through are you ?

4. danielcoates

danielcoates Active Member

Yeah, I have bit's of code that I used to use for simple tasks like that, but for project like this I find it easier to use pre built packages.

Yup, Moz/Majestic are really expensive, I was more talking about custom keyword lists, for filtering domains based on topics, domain metrics is something that's on the future features list :)

I don't have access to Rob's EPP system, tho I do use his catching service, and drop lists, I plan on creating a way to use his XML feeds, so I can browse both alongside my own lists.

I can't even afford Nominet Membership, £600 is a lot of money for me, and I rely on people like Rob to catch for me

The current thoughts on the project are just for personal use anyway, but there is a view to look at releasing it in the future, either open source, or monetised I haven't decided.

I'm just in the beginning stages, I've finished the initial database design, tho that could change, and I've started to code some of the back end classes, and the crawler, I've not even looked at front-end design.

It's been an on/off project for the last 4-5 months, with most of the work happening in the last few weeks, so it's really early days, I work 50+ hours a week at my regular night job, so 'free time' can sometimes be an issue

I learnt PHP 10+ years ago, and never kept up-to date so it's also a bit learning curve :)