Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

christmas money :D

Discussion in 'General Board' started by charlie, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie United Kingdom

charlie Well-Known Member

Is this the normal post christmas new demand for names? i see there are 3 posts now in the wanted section all with big budgets for the right names.

What you'll also notice is they're all looking for single word generics - which kind of indicates the money is there but only for the very small top level of domains. I understand their value but is the demand so small that there is not a market for two word domains that are either a products or a services?

thoughts?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Cash healthy individuals looking to clean up on those that have overspent at Christmas hmmm I wonder

4. FC Domains

FC Domains Well-Known Member

Don't get too excited. I don't see any 'thanks for the sale' posts.

5. rob

rob Founding Member

yup, lots of people with imaginary cash around.

Not saying the posters currently are, but it has been known to try and make people seem bigger / more reliable than they really are.

Cheers
    rob.

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Either that, or unrealistic expectations. 5K will buy something quite nice, but it's not going to score you a top 100 level domain...

7. charlie United Kingdom

it would interesting to see a top 100 domains list - might open up the market a bit, then again it will shut it down for others.

Anyway interesting to think about this concept i'm sure this top100 like ferns count down in bbc is subject to monthly changes - the top spot can never be held by one domain and i'm sure new tech and pop culture would lead to variations in the results.

I would say that £5k would get you a good domain - perhaps its the private sales that actually hide the .co.uk activity. i know simply sold for top dollar (i mean pound) but how many other .co.uk streach the £5k barrier on a good day i rekon £5k will get you in close to 50 than 100? but its all relative - if you can find that buyer then you'll get it - in fact i think its more important that they can find you - this is where sedo (and competition) is doing well being a one spot to find all available domains. i mean if the buyer is thinking about it then finding their desired solution is paramount - if you approach them then they'll always be on the defense and non negoiatable on price

hey but what do i know - i'm not in that market!
    (and i'm drinking)

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Actually, I think you'll find a ton of "private" sales are higher, not lower. It's generally larger companies that require NDAs etc. preventing disclosure.

9. charlie United Kingdom

totally agree but its the ambiguity that means your 1700 domains aint worth million. if big companies were seen to spend we'd perhaps see more distinct values.

remember there are always bigger fish

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Rob ...I think the reverse is also true, everyones portfolio is worth millions, and when you make an offer on a domain, they already turned down previous offers for twice that amount!

Canuck

PS ... watch for my "domains wanted" post soon...

11. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

I don't know why companies wouldn't want to disclose the cost of a domain purchase. If you spent say 100k on a top quality domain the free publicity may outweigh this on it's own?? (when you look at the amounts some companies spend on advertising!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.