Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Clarification of the scope of applicable domain extensions

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Edwin, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Some clarification on the scope of the extensions to which the "right to .uk" determination applies comes courtesy of an update to a blog post by Andrew Cormack (from Janet):

https://community.ja.net/blogs/regulatory-developments/article/nominet-directuk-announcement

While I think most of us guessed/assumed as much, it's nice to get confirmation even if the source is indirect. Andrew is well-placed enough to be given the "correct" info from Nominet, so there's no doubt in my mind at least that this is the truth of the situation.

Combine the above info with one of the answers from Nominet's Q&A (below) and we have the full list of domain extensions to which the right to the .uk might theoretically be assigned.

In other words,
    A) .co.uk wins. If not .co.uk, then...
    B) then .org.uk wins. If not .org.uk, then...
    C) .me.uk, .net.uk, .plc.uk, .ltd.uk and .sch.uk get a look in (though in practice these cases are going to be few and far between)
    D) Non-Nominet managed extensions aren't in the .uk running at all

Nominet have not yet explained how extensions within C) will be ranked vs each other. Nor is it clear whether .sch.uk will be included in practice, given that Nominet said in response to a question raised during V2 that there are no third level domains issued under .sch.uk, only fourth level ones.

But at least we're a bit closer to knowing what's going on than we were before Andrew's news!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

No. There is unfortunately a separate piece of V3 dealing with the small number of domains that will be reserved for "orphaned" government departments. I say "dealing", but it's more of a placeholder for the agreement that Nominet still has to thrash out on the subject with government.

However, there was some verbiage about Nominet working with government to minimise the impact on "generic" .uk domains so hopefully they'll come up with an alternative proposal that will release "food", "independent" and the few others that are pure generics.

4. markb United States

markb Active Member

I have had an email from nominet that said they will be proceeding on the basis that government will not be allocated domains that are obvious generics and that they will be writing to the Cabinet Office to work on this approach. So this looks pretty promising to any owners of generic domains that where originally on the reserved list.

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Yes. Seems like the most pragmatic, rational approach for Nominet to take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.