Domain Manage

co.uk or .uk - which would you use?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by NickC, Feb 8, 2016.

1. NickC Spain

NickC Active Member

Hey everyone...

I know this may have been asked on a handful of occasions in the past but with a new year started and peoples opinions forever changing, I have to ask the question again.....

.co.uk or .uk ?

I have a big project coming up, lots work and a big budget planned so i need to get off on the right foot.

My personal preference would be .co.uk but i'm seeing a lot of .uk's cropping up and companies moving to the .uk from .co.uk which is throwing a spanner in the works!

Thanks!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

It would depend on the domain name, to the left of the dot. If it was a great generic domain name I might go with the .uk because the two together *might* stand out even more than .co.uk which everyone's seen countless times.

4. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Only reason the .uk applies in domain circles is because buyers are reluctant to pay the same for a domain without it, just in case. Beyond that, just a Nominet cash cow.

5. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

6. baldidiot United Kingdom

baldidiot Active Member

We're still launching everything on .co.uk, except for one site we're working on at the moment where the .co.uk has a bit of a ropey link history from it's previous life.

7. murph

murph Well-Known Member

8. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

9. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

I like .uk and really wanted to use one but after struggling when telling people the domain or email address it was just easier to revert to .co.uk.

I know that everything can be set up so that everything .co.uk forwards to .uk but it didn't seem worth continuing with the uphill battle.

I can imaging working with a .co is equally frustrating and difficult - maybe moreso because it is so close to .com too.

10. Kari

Kari Retired Member

Yep

spam filters dont like it either for some reason
    New domain & site, and first email I sent to a serviced office company not even promoting just having a normal conversation with the bloke ended up in spam folder

happens a bit to be honest