Domain Manage

.co.uk / .org.uk question

Discussion in 'General Board' started by domainseller200, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domainseller200 United Kingdom

domainseller200 Well-Known Member

Following on from the discussion myself and Edwin had in this thread I thought I would do a poll to gauge other peoples opinions.

I want you to answer as honest as possible, with an unbiased view based on your own portfolios - this is a total business related question based on the information in this thread.

We all know that both .co.uk and .org.uk domains have the same SEO value and benefits at present with Google, so from an SEO value and NOT domain value, they are 100% equal.

If you had ONLY £10,000 to spend and you decided to buy a domain name which you were going to develop into a proper website (not a minisite) to make a regular income , which was soley going to rely on search engine traffic, and other forms of online sources (ie no offline advertising) which name would you choose to buy

a). The .co.uk name is available for £7,500 leaving £2,500 for a website and SEO

b). The .org.uk name is available for £750 leaving £9,250 for a website and SEO

I have used the 10% value ratio, as opposed to the 1% value in the other thread, to be fairer to the .co.uk option.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. JMOT

JMOT Well-Known Member

Arrrrh come on Frank... you know in most cases the .me.uk is either prob FTR or only £50 from someone here. That will SEO just as well leaving £9950 for the rest of expenses then 301'ing it into your £8 FTR brandable .co.uk/.com :rolleyes:

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

The .co.uk name. I assume that anyone spending that sort of money on building an online business MUST have one eye on an exit strategy ie a sale. There is also anecdotal evidence thaf a .co.uk will get a higher CTR than the equivalent .org.uk (for commercial searches, all other things being equal) which means more organic traffic, and cheaper PPC (CTR up = CPC down)

5. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I get the point of asking in this way, but tbh I'd decline to enter into that situation personally, as both seem to be somewhat flawed approaches imo.

Of those two options at the risk levels of buying the .co.uk are lower if you fail (the resale value of the name) whereas spending £9,250 devving an inferior org.uk name seems like madness unless you're very sure that the site's going to be a success.

An alternative might be to buy the hyphenated co.uk for £750 :)

6. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

I would never build a 'proper' business on a .org.uk

It's like the inferior, ugly wannabe of domain names. Plus, haven't the Australian equivalent extensions just been taken from everyone who wasn't operating it as a non-profit?

7. JMOT

JMOT Well-Known Member

Who gives a rats arse? I mean seriously?

If you can get the traffic you can get the cash thru earnings to buy whatever domain you wish to rebrand to via properly done 301's etc

That leaves those with enough cash at the start of a project to chase the generic .co.uk and .com's

&

Those who either dont want to punt on the domain and rather spend the "same" amount regardless of extension on the SEO and getting traffic that converts..

Either way, whoever has the traffic rules.

8. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

i'd take the .org.uk and do the seo myself and save 9k :)

i think .co.uk still rank better

9. domainseller200 United Kingdom

domainseller200 Well-Known Member

Depending on the nature of the website and the industry it is in, there is nothing saying that a sale wouldn't occur purely down to the extension - if it was soley relying on search engine traffic. I have experienced this first hand myself.

Most earning websites are bought on revenue multiples, which would make the domain name extension irrelevant in this exact circumstance.

Yes that is a very good point, with regards to the value being held in the domain name alone (.co.uk)

It obviously would apply on a name by name basis, but some names are pretty certain to be a success, even just by a pure common sense approach.

I also agree that I would never build a proper business on a .org.uk, but again it depends on your long term plans from your online ventures. I am sure all of us have ideas what they want from individual domains.

I don't like the 'ugly wannabe' status of the .org.uk extension either, but everything taking into consideration - they pay the bills just as well as the daddy does.

Not sure tbh, but this doesnt mean it will follow suit in other countries regardless.

Yep and is one of the reasons I do similar, as one of the strings to my bow - the sale of sledges.org.uk helped fund approx 4/5 solid generic .co.uk domains which longer term should yield £xxx,xxx as domains alone, ranked websites even more.

We all know that milkmen know most about SEO Julian ;)

10. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

.co.uk for me, no question.

No point spending £9250 on marketing only for people to get confused and end up on the .co.uk.

They might be equal from a ranking perspective, and that's fine for affiliate sites – but outside of that realm, for a proper business, I wouldn't ever consider a .org.uk unless it was for a charity or nonprofit group.

- Rob

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  11. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

I disagree on this one. Here is one of my customers:

doorsets.org.uk
    Went live Dec 2009. No advertise spend whatsoever. Turnover was 6 figures at the end of the year. All internet driven.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...G=Search&aq=f&aqi=g1g-c1g1g-c1g1g-c5&aql=f&oq

Customers don't look to see what the extention is. They search and click on the relevant results. If they get the info they want/like they purchase.

12. khalid United Kingdom

khalid Well-Known Member

13. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

14. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a hard one to answer a lot depends on the product thats being sold if its purely an online service were print or TV advertising don't add much value the product would probably be in a niche like gambling or software or another downloadble product.
    In which case the market would probably be global so to be honest I'd want neither as the .com or .net would be better suited.

If there was a physical product being sold then I don't see why you would only market online so in that case I'd want the .co.uk

But then there will be cases were it would be a no brainier to go down org.uk route ie when the co.uk owener wants an unrealistic amount of money so its unlikely to ever be sold. As a developer if theres a niche to fill and sure you can make money back efficiently do it

As far as the exit strategy goes there me be trouble selling a .org.uk domain as an undeveloped concept ie you could possible make money like this.
    However if you can prove the business turns a profit with actual figures to back it up are you really going to have trouble selling it on if you need to get out

15. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

For the record, I'd put org.uk names at somewhere between 1% and 10% of the same .co.uk in terms of price, with the percentage generally getting lower the better the keywords -

ie I think it's easier to get low £xx for an org.uk where the .co.uk would be low £xxx than it is to get £xx,xxx where the .co.uk would def be 6 figures.

16. rob

rob Founding Member

.co.uk

If you put in all the effort and comes to exit do you want to be selling widget.co.uk to a blue chip or widget.org.uk :)

17. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

18. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Again comes down to what your trying to sell them if you built up a member site with say 100'000 users on your org.uk domain and the co.uk holder has a domain undeveloped I know which one I would want to be selling.
    However if your site does something that could be replicated by said blue chip then of cause you'd want the .co.uk

Don't think anyones trying to say the org.uk's is as valuable as the .co.uk but sometimes it seems they are vastly undervalued and on the same hand co.uk's that may be over valued.

While theres domainers out there who hold onto and never develop there golden eggs I think theres always going to be an opportunity to make a profit with org.uk's if your willing to build

19. WealdDomains United Kingdom

WealdDomains Active Member

.co.uk

Any model I adopt has to be one that I personally am convinced is sound, regardless of what other people think or, indeed, are successfully achieving.

I'm quite happy doing something formulaic, learning from others, if I myself am comfortable with their underlying formula. The .org.uk formula simply does not gel for me.

As your question suggests, I think there's more to "online sources" than just SEO.

David

20. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

For a product/service it's got to be .co.uk but for eg I hope to make a charity one day based on what one of my children was born with so I regged savelives on .org.uk

My view of using .org.uk for business is that people lnevitably confuse the .org.uk for .co.uk.

I do believe any .org.uk is worth at least 5% value of the equivilant .co.uk but Ty does have a very good and valid point regarding high end premium .co.uk so I guess there is a ceiling price on .org.uks

21. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

ahhhhh but its all the more fun when you groom widget.org.uk and the blue chip all ready has the widget.co.uk.. :D

People here are obsessing about 'exit stratigies' we're not on dragons den or the apprentice sweethearts - this is reg fee .org.uks most people are churning and burning to make a few quid which is just a means to an end.

Matey who just sold his poker.org.uk for 25k(?) which is on page 3 of g and with a bit of sorting out should do page 2 is probably thinking he got a bargain considering AD's .org.uk's 1% value of equiv poker.co.uk at 2.5million..

You seriously telling me the jeremy kyle applicants are scanning the g serp results?

Anyway don't get me wrong, if you want my honest opinion they're both shit - i'd rather have a .com any day.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.