Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.com versus .co.uk

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by AndyMarsden, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMarsden United Kingdom

AndyMarsden Active Member

Im very new to this domain larky, ive seen that most of the activity on here about .co.uk domains, i was just wondering the advantage of .co.uk trading over say .com

The reason im asking is i know of an available .com but the .co.uk is taken, with 40,500 exacts. I was just wondering if this was worth buying as a starter domain.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. buttontop

buttontop Active Member

If you think that you can get people to the site then its worth a go. the only problem with a .com is that it might be a little harder to sell it on this site but people still do buy .coms here. largely depends on the topic and things. not often that phrases with such high exacts are free to reg on .com so might be worth a go.

4. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

you make .com's sound awful....and why sell it on this site...you won't get end user prices, .com is GOD

5. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

Unless the domain would lead to a trademark issue and does have 40k local exact per month I reckon I would......for the sake of a tenner. Number of exacts alone would drum up some interest for a resell or of course a ready market for development.

High exacts on a .com are not usually found free to reg -any reason you can think of why the .co.uk is taken, why local exacts are very nice but no-one's snapped up the .com? Any other extensions taken?

Sounds a little strange....if you do take it (or decide not to :) ) let us know the outcome and the domain

6. AndyMarsden United Kingdom

Just to check; if the domain i was looking at was coolcheesesticks. com in the google keyword tool i would put "cool cheese sticks" and that would give me the number of exact local matches to my propsed domain.

I think im correct.

Thanks for all the help.

7. buttontop

buttontop Active Member

yer and no, you would first have to select exact search not broad search that is the defalt. you change it on the left hand side of the pannel, an exact would have [cheese sticks] either side of it.

8. AndyMarsden United Kingdom

Thats what i was thinking, just poor wording in my case, excellent 40,500 exacts!

9. buttontop

buttontop Active Member

Dont just buy it on exacts alone. exacts means that its a well searched topic but that isnt everything, what is the cpc like? do people pay for adwords? is it a product/service/info topic that can be sold on? is the .org.uk taken? what about other ext. you need to build up a picture if its a name thats in high demand or not

10. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

With those exacts I'd just buy it. End of.

11. theonemanyuri

theonemanyuri Active Member

I agree with Azooza, providing it is definetely on exacts and not broad, and it isn't a typo or trademark... get it.

12. buttontop

buttontop Active Member

Yer i think he should go with it, but hes new here and im just saying that you need to look at more than just exacts/cpc and things. im sure many people new to domains jumped in and have alot of crap to show for there first "investments".

13. GotLiveChat

GotLiveChat Member

If you're only interested in UK customers then it makes sense to get the .uk domain extension. If you're marketing to a global audience I'd go with the .com even if the choices for names are limited.
    The other option is to go with some other extension that doesn't appear 'country-related' as much as co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.