Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Creating a Nominet Drop Catcher

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm an established programmer who has made drop catching software for a variety of extensions in the past. I've got experience with the SIDN (NL), NORID (NO) and ESNIC (ES) registries and am now moving to UK. I'm looking for ONE member whom already has a Nominet registrar setup and would be interested in working WITH me for a FREE copy of the software once finished. I do not personally chase many UK domains and I don't currently have my own Nominet registrar setup. That's where I would need your help.

What do I need from you? TEST account details to use the OTE (operational test environment) and do proper testing when creating. Please note, I am NOT looking for any live access or account details from you. Nominet should provide completely separate test account details where you can access their OTE and run all of your testing without ever being charged or any real (live) account details ever needing to be given or used. I would also need you to be the point of contact between me and Nominet should any questions or issues arise since I don't have my own registrar account setup with them.

The software will be Windows based, not PHP based. Also, the software will be available (sold) to the public once finished. You would basically be providing the test details I need to complete the software and will then receive a free lifetime copy for doing so. If you're okay with those stipulations and interested please send me a PM and we can chat further over. I've got no problem showing you my other projects or whatever you would like to know that I'm real and serious about this project. I know I don't have many posts on this board, but you can find me more active on some of the other domaining boards around. It probably wouldn't take me long to code since the EPP/DAC protocol is the same across all registries. Thanks!

I admire your effort but the .uk namespace is fiercely competitive when it comes to catching. Most tags already have established systems in place they use for catching. Most of us have spent years tweaking our systems on and off down to the very finest picosecond.

I'm not trying to dissuade you but you need to realise what you're up against here. Your statement of "it will be windows based, not PHP based" makes me question if you truly understand this, the competitiveness and what you're up against. Nobody is going to pay for your software unless you prove it really works and is competitive.

I wish you good luck, you really will need it.

If you are going to provide a free copy, but then sell it to the public, it takes away its competitiveness. Also, for the work involved, why don't you just apply for a Nominet membership at ~£600 and a DAC at ~£30 and develop for yourself? If competitive, you'd make that money back in no time at all.

At a guess, I'd expect 90% of servers that are close to nominets rack are not running windows. This is probably the case in most DC's

Unless you are suggesting this is run from a home PC?? In which case your chances of catching anything of value will be extremely slim.

Last edited:
At a guess, I'd expect 90% of servers that are close to nominets rack are not running windows. This is probably the case in most DC's.

That's an interesting comment. My script is compiled .Net running as a Windows service and was quite competitive for a little while, but is now a bit unloved.

I don't even know where EPP is hosted these days.

Sure. But if you are considering writing code for competitive drop catching and it is for an end user commercial audience. Would you consider writing it for a Windows platform ?

Sure. But if you are considering writing code for competitive drop catching and it is for an end user commercial audience. Would you consider writing it for a Windows platform ?

For a perfectly optimised platform, you're probably looking at C on Linux but you're speaking to a Windows developer, so I'm biased by skill set.

That said, I wouldn't personally consider writing a catching script in an interpreted/uncompiled language like PHP.

Have to agree, if you are that serious why not just get your own tag and save the hassle of having to go through a middle man at the same time?

Two minutes to find the OP elsewhere: https://www.namepros.com/search/10540584/

Two more minutes to find this thread of his: https://www.namepros.com/threads/expired-domain-drop-catching-software.781717/

His post above mentions he is an established programmer and he has prior experience of other registries. Since EPP is a standard he will already be familiar with it. Some of the European country registries also have equivalents of the Nominet .uk DAC. These are also likely be extreamly similar.

He doesn't actually need to pay anything to obtain a Nominet registrar tag in order to test against the EPP (test bed or live). A tag can be obtained without becoming a Nominet member. Any domain name registrations made without having membership do cost a lot more but I wouldn't expect he'd need to make any which couldn't be deleted.

For him to obtain DAC access he would need to be a Nominet member or, as he asks, an existing Nominet member could add his IP address into the relevant field within their member online services control panel to give him time to test his software development with both the delayed and live DACs. In return it seems he'll offer that person a free copy of his software, which probably isn't just going to be compatible with .uk if he's merely wishing to add support for the .uk registry into whatever product(s) (e.g. DesktopCatcher) he already has developed.

I found his post pretty straight forward to understand and didn't see the necessity for some forum members to tie themselves into knots over it.

Didn't know you can apply for a free TAG and use for testing purposes? You can't register a domain via the test server though, and you can't register through the live server within DAC, which you need a membership for?

Last edited:
Become a Nominet registrar (no charge) - http://registrars.nominet.uk/namespace/uk/managingyournominetaccount/applicationprocess

Use EPP as a Nominet registrar (no charge) - http://registrars.nominet.uk/namespace/uk/registration-and-domain-management/registration-systems

Nominet membership required to obtain preferential domain name registration and renewal rates (charge) - http://registrars.nominet.uk/namespace/uk/managingyournominetaccount/preferentialrates

Nominet membership required to obtain DAC (charge + charge for DAC itself) - http://registrars.nominet.uk/namespace/uk/registration-and-domain-management/query-tools

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom