Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Creating Drop Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a quick question about creating drop lists, according to the WHOIS terms I can't save any data from the database whatsoever, and the DAC terms state that I can hold a maximum of 1,000 records, for a maximum of 7 days.

How can I store information about domain names, including there expiry date without breaching these terms?

Its generally accepted you can store as much as data from the dac (but NOT whois) as your business needs.

Search the forum for the 1,000 thing, as its more about non-relationship providing of data than what you can hold.

Its generally accepted you can store as much as data from the dac (but NOT whois) as your business needs.

Thanks, That's what I thought.

Search the forum for the 1,000 thing, as its more about non-relationship providing of data than what you can hold.

I have searched the forum for every instance of the word 'DAC', I even used google with 'site:acorndomains.co.uk' filter, and I couldn't find anything.

What do you mean non-relationship providing?

Skinner: Thanks, I did skim through that post, I'll have a more in depth read after work tonight, thanks.

~

The original poster raises a valid question and one that I have recently been thinking about myself. Unfortunately explaining it properly will cause 99.9% of readers eyes to glaze over.

lol, my immediate reaction was :shock:, but i persisted, and read the response.

I'll be pleasantly surprised to receive an in depth technical response. :)

I doubt I could give you an in depth technical response, I'm not massively technically minded, and my mind kinda exploded and now aches a little, but I'll try and give a summary of what I understood in regards to my question.

And to be honest, I didn't think I could query the ZONE file, I think I took it not being public, to mean it's not available to check. But now I take that to mean it's not available to download in it's entirety.

~ I can query DAC2 (Delayed DAC) and check the date the domain expires & suspension status, providing I don't store any information from the results for more than 7 days, giving me plenty of time to run other checks.

~ There would be nothing stopping me from storing a date that I calculated from information obtained from DAC2.

~ Before checking DAC2, I should check the ZONE file to see if it has name servers listed, and check DAC2 if it doesn't, scheduling further checks based on the results.

So in conclusion, my database can contain the following, without breaching the rules:

• Domain Name
  • Domain Length
  • Keywords
  • Google, Alexia & other useful information
  • Expected Drop Date, If any
  • Date I added it to the list
  • Date I last checked the Zone File
  • Date I last checked the DAC
  • Y/N on if it has Name Servers

~

Thanks for the response, I have a lot of thinking to do on how I could implement this in PHP or Ruby, it's my intention to make an app to do this for me using cron jobs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom