Domain Manage

decipher.co.uk - summary decision of a generic

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by invincible, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Another recent DRS caught my eye. D00009382 from mid February 2011. Summary decision went in favour of the Respondent. Both the Complainant and the Respondent are individuals and because it is a summary decision there is no clue in the brief "decision PDF" to give anyone a clue why Respondent won their case for this generic domain name.

I had to put the domain name into the archive.org Way Back Machine and fortunately there was enough information there to give me a pretty good idea. It seems the domain name is still pointing towards the same web site as it has been for years. Therefore I am assuming that the former Registrant was either an ex member of staff, former owner of the business or the original web site developer who registered the domain name in their own name. The new Registrant probably wanted to ensure that the domain name accurately reflected the current owner / operator of the business, but perhaps the former Registrant had "gone away" so wasn't able to instigate a transfer. I do wish the Expert had explained the situation in the comments field so this didn't, on face value, look like someone picking up a nice generic domain name from a Registrant who didn't respond, for the cost of a summary decision. :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you meant to put there that the Complainant won their case?

Agree with your assumption in what has probably happened though.

4. invincible

Yes, I meant "Complainant"! :) Perhaps I became confused given the domain name hasn't actually changed use. :D

5. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

it's interesting how you're always obsessed with DRS cases - I just wondered - is that so you can assimilate as much knowledge as possible incase any come your way in the future? :D

6. invincible

I find them interesting but each case is different and I cannot say I've learnt anything ground breaking from the three I've recently discussed. I do find the legal side of things one of the more interesting parts of the whole domain name "business".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.