Domain Manage

Default Transfer

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by landlord, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landlord

landlord Active Member

Nominet state 'As an anti-abuse mechanism, Nominet will be able to refer files to a DRS expert if we think there may be an abuse of the DRS. If the expert agreed, the complaint would be rejected.'

Is this not an intepretation of rights by Nominet, something they are adamant they do not do..... abuse can only found if the registrant has no rights, therefore to make a referral Nominet must be pre-vetting rights. If this happens then I would expect the same consideration before they take money i.e. at the point of registration if Nominet feel the registration is abusive they should be referring the registration to the expert.

Lee

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. meinthecorner

meinthecorner Active Member

Out of interest when does this default transfer start?

4. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

Nominet deciding if there "may be an abuse of the DRS" has nothing to do with whether or not there has been abuse of a domain.

Given the title of this thread, I assume you have got this from a page to do with the Default Transfer. As such, take this scenario:

Complainant sends in 100 Speculative DRS Complaints for 100 different domains reg'd to 100 different people.

1 of those people do not respond for whatever reason.

Under the default transfer, the complainant would be able to get that domain even if the complaint just said "I want it".

If Nominet look at this and think it is an abuse of the DRS, they can refer it to an Expert to throw out the complaint instead of it going to default transfer.

Given the default transfer, no abuse needs to be proven if there is no response.

I refer you to my numerous previous posts in reply to you never ending demand for Nominet to 'pre-vet' all domains. :rolleyes:

5. landlord

landlord Active Member

for fred

Fred you say 'Complainant sends in 100 Speculative DRS Complaints for 100 different domains reg'd to 100 different people.'

Registrant 'sends in numerous requests for domain names with derivatives of well known brand names'

Lee

6. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

The 2 are not directly comparable :rolleyes:

My example is talking about abusing a sytem that is in place.
    Nominet DO NOT have to decide any rights issues. The complainent in my example didn't even claim any rights!

Your example is about someone abusing the rights of a third party.
    Nominet WOULD have to decide if there is a possible abuse of rights.

7. landlord

landlord Active Member

wrong

Thats wrong....

well known brand finds out that several registrants have been purchasing domain names that they are derivative of their brand name.....as a result they fire in 100 claims accross several registrants...

In this case Nominet will have to refer it to an expert cause, as you say, they do not look at rights

Lee

8. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

and your point is what exactly?

How does that have anything to do with Nominet passing a complaint, which would otherwise have gone to default transfer, to the Expert when they feel the CLAIM is abusive (not the domain registration/use)

9. landlord

landlord Active Member

two standards

The point is Nominet must make sure that known brand names who put in several complaints get referred in the same way as unknown complainants ....in actual fact the most well known brand names will be open to the most abuse by registrants and therefore will submit the most complaints......this in turn will make the default transfer not so default..............

example is rbs.....simple question fred and they you will have the answer.....Would RBS be referred to the expert?

Lee

10. Beasty

Beasty Active Member

Could I just point out that the DRS Default Transfer proposal attracted little support from those who took part in the consultation - so it is to be hoped that it is kicked into the long grass anyway.

11. landlord

landlord Active Member

verify

Beasty can you verify the recycle.co.uk sale?

Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.