Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Deleting a name under DRS threat

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Brassneck, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

If somebody threatens you with a DRS/lawyers and you delete the name straightaway I presume that should be the end of the matter?

Or is it? If they are then vindictive enough to follow up through official challenges is there anything they can actually successfully pursue, e.g. they say I had bad intentions of ruining their business my registering the name in the first place even for only a few hours.

Am I just being paranoid and worrying needlessly.

They had the .com but do not seem intent on registering the .co.uk. Seeing as I deleted it and it had traffic there is a good chance somebody else is going to pick it up later today!

Stephen.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

What damage could it be shown that you have inflicted on the company by having registered the domain?

4. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

I could only see them taking it further if they had very deep pockets and they wanted to make it personal and just cause you as much trouble as possible.

In reality, once the domain is cancelled, they're just throwing money away.

Is there a dark coloured saloon car, or maybe a maintenance van parked outside your house??

5. Brassneck United Kingdom

I'll just check!

Yes, I think they are just getting it out of their system.

What would be amusing, however if somebody else picks it up later. It dropped earlier today so there is a chance.

6. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

You can't say that without naming the name!

7. Brassneck United Kingdom

Ok - before registering anything that doesn't sound generic check out if .com exists! If it does think twice - for obvious reasons I'm not going to broadcast the name here. ;-)

8. rob

rob Founding Member

Nope, They are out to get you. RIGHT NOW.

Tinfoil hats at the ready lads!

9. Brassneck United Kingdom

eeeek :eek:

10. melitaweb

melitaweb Member

I just got sued for 250,000 euros over a .co.uk I owned. Even though it is now deleted the company is still going for damages in a French court. Don't be fooled into thinking deletion is a safe option.

11. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Bloody hell! :(

12. sneezycheese

sneezycheese Active Member

…this is a key point regarding litigation! Have you kept a record of the number of visitors to this domain? If so and there’s been none, or a minimal number, then there cannot be any realistic claim for damages against you. The flip side (i.e. tons of visitors) is conversely true.

Any DRS threat has also gone, as you are no longer the legal registrant for that domain ;)

Hope this goes some way to putting your mind at rest :)

13. zehrila Germany

zehrila Active Member

this whole thing sounds sooooo wierd and i find no perfect logic for this rule of lawsuits for registering a name with good faith and than you realise some one in some country is going to take you in court and get you fined.Bah if thats so all registeries and registrars should mention on their websites prior registering a domain that THIS LAME NAME is a trademark of some company in some part of world so dont touch it and let that company wake up after 2 years and register it.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.