Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Deleting.co.uk RIP

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by retired_member16, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

You've got to at least let us know which parts of your operation were deemed illegal, there's no such thing as keeping info private like this when you've been threatened.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. stevie Spain

stevie Active Member

sorry to hear about this Andrew.. it will be missed... :(

good luck with the next phase of deleting!

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to do any such thing. In fact, the very best thing to do when lawyers are threatening is to KEEP QUIET. Smart move on his part.

Just be thankful the service stayed up for as long as it did, and let him get on with his business!

5. sneezycheese

sneezycheese Active Member

...the issue here is not Domainers, but Nominet and their 'plans' - This site has been ran for years without ANY trouble, but Nominet have now some new 'proposals' on the table and I'm guessing 'they' wish to remove the competition from their field of view - watch out ye 'drop catchers'! ;)

'waiting lists/.uk domain autions' - soon to be provided by your friendly 'government approved' doman supplier! :mrgreen:

All the best Andrew,

Sneezy.

6. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Why don't you shut up. I didn't say he had to, I'm saying he should do. And no the best thing to do when threatened isn't to keep quiet. What's the secret when threatened? I aint being thankful for anything above the service being offered so don't be so patronising.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  7. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Nominet will have to tell us what rules were broken and in what way anyway when asked, won't they? So I'll just write to them telling them I'm setting up a similar service and would like to know exactly what rules were broken and how, they obviously know, they researched it.

8. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Re Edwin, it's typical of your lot, not affected so not really bothered and shout down anyone who cares, the same thing happened on another issue recently. Oh yeah domcollect. There's nothing like a community sticking together... :rolleyes:

9. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

These parts:

40,000 suspended domain names (status derived from the DAC)

Publishing the number of days suspended (using renewal date from the DAC)

Publishing the TAGs on the "who got what" pages (taken from the DAC)

Were found in breach of:

http://www.nominet.org.uk/other/dac/contract
    5.3.6: "You may not provide more than an insubstantial part of the register information to a third party or end user".

Also if I didn't shut it down I get the impression I would end up in court under copyright/intellectual property infringement.

10. sneezycheese

...Yup Nominet SUCKS!!!

Most of us know that Nominet use bullying tactics as thier first port of call and yet 'WE' do nothing about it! 'THEY' use the press/polititicians to 'further thier aims', so why don't we? everyone here needs to wake up and smell the coffee - In my opinion 'they' care very little about the 'individual' and should be ashamed of themselves! - I would like this matter to be made public if at all possible, if only to highlight how Lesley and her 'gang' behaves! :(

Regards,

Sneezy.

11. jonno United Kingdom

jonno Active Member

that's crazy - surely that's more or less the same as a registrar doing a lookup to check for availability and echoing out a "calculated" result to the end user :confused:

perhaps you can threaten legal action for development time and costs?

12. sneezycheese

...here, here - well said - it's not just about 'money', it's about 'community'!!!

13. Whois-Search

I believe it has to do with storing the data and republishing it. If you use a status checker at one of the big registrars like www.123-reg.co.uk then the status is shown live on the website and not stored/republished.

14. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand: Nominet may not be angels, but they have 100% power over the .co.uk namespace right now, and that's not going to change in a hurry no matter how strongly any one of us feels about it. It's not really smart business to badmouth a monopoly supplier - nor is it likely to be effective! There is a difference between logically and calmly spelling out issues, and taking potshots at people.

Next time you have a problem with something that you need Nominet's help to resolve, and someone there sees your name next to a complaint, do you think they're going to rush headlong to help you? Or do you think they'll think "hey, that's the loud-mouthed complainer who's given us nothing but grief?" It's only human nature...

I've always found Nominet staff to be polite and relatively efficient in dealing with issues, even though sometimes it takes a couple of emails to get their attention. Aside from policy stuff, which can't be changed in a day - or a week - and which needs to be calmly worked on through the channels set up for that purpose, what exactly is it they keep doing wrong?

As I see it, they provide a pretty smooth service in one of the busiest domain extensions in the world, with fewer problems on the whole than the .com namespace suffers from. Unlike .com, there's less or no .co.uk domain hijacking, no issues with registrars withholding EPP codes and blocking transfers (since you can ALWAYS go around them to get Nominet to do tag changes directly), no hassle about 60 day waiting periods before you can transfer domains, a known and clear expiry/drop system with no individual registrar hoarding of domains, etc.

It's certainly not perfect, but sometimes it's good to take a step back and see what WORKS rather than always looking for what DOESN'T!

15. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

OK, well this decision effects Nominet's income, the amount of domains registered over time, registrar income, the money brought in through transfer fees, the entire one half of my operation, not forgetting your own interests so there must be a way of tackling this, it's in registrar's, tag holder's and domainer's and I dare say, Nominet's best interests to see this action fought somehow.

Legally speaking, you can still operate. You just don't show the data... and agreeing to not run the service again is one thing, agreeing not to run a similar service is another, the way round it is, in who caught what, just show domains caught but leave whois open to be looked at.

As for domains dropping, don't show dates, just show what's dropping that day, leave whoever to look at whois. The exact rules are, not showing data, don't show the data but keep the operation running. I'll be harsh here, even though it's you on the line, but in the best interests of the community regardless of the "oh well, thanks anyways" you should maybe, in your interests as well as mine and ours, go back to nominet and say hang on, you're taking a liberty here.

What if I do this, this and this, i.e. what I detailed to do above, they can't argue that, you're not showing any information and start running it again, it's plain to see through the PRSS that you can use information to your advantage as long as it doesn't get displayed publicly, which means you can store the information on your systems as long as you don't share it with a third party or end user.

So in effect, delete the days from showing and the tags and you're operational again, solicitors like to use legal fuddy duddy ye olde English to scare people into submission, it's worth going back to Nominet and see if they can argue any of what I've said - there's probably another bit in the contract... is there? What do people think?

Cheers
    Lee

16. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

I don't know who you're talking to, but see above, I found what works.

17. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

So come on, someone tell me there's another clause (not santa) and that I'm wrong, legals should always be given a few days and then replied to, there's no harm in it, they're paid to receive replies as well as send letters. I don't see why deleting can't just delete the days and tag names and carry on, can you?

18. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

And again, they've suspended you, you didn't have to delete stored data as you didn't break any rules there, only if they terminated membership. I tell you, you should sue nominet if you've deleted data, loss of earnings and being advised wrong.

19. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

I guess if there was a way round then Andrew would know of it and implement it, he hasnt, therefore I think Nom hold all the cards.

Its all well and good pushing the subject but its his head on the block, not ours, and I would think that I would have pulled the plug if it was me in his shoes.

20. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

I'll not say anymore but there is a way around it, it's in the contract with nominet.

21. Whois-Search

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.