Domain Manage

Developing a .com in multi languages

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by sc2009, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc2009 United Kingdom

sc2009 Active Member

Hi All,

I am looking to develop a multi language site on a .com with the aim of ranking it in different search engines i.e. google.fr google.de

I wondered if anyone has experience with this?

Rather than use subdomains has anyone managed to do it with directories i.e domain.com/fr and domian.com/de

I think Apple do this. I need to know a bit more about how it works and how to tell Google to differentiate directories on the domain as different sites so that they can rank on different search engines.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. sc2009 United Kingdom

sc2009 Active Member

Anyone have any experience of this?

Perhaps I have posted in the wrong section...

Cheers,

Ben.

4. PaulGregory

PaulGregory Active Member

I have a multi-language site, but oddly it hasn't had any SEO scrutiny so I can't actually tell you what goes on in Spain, Russia, Portugal and China.

Most of what you want to happen will happen naturally. Just make sure visitors can switch between languages if they end up on the 'wrong' one.

5. dazc United Kingdom

dazc Active Member

you can register each directory as a site in webmaster tools and designate the target country of each. Doesn't matter if it's a sub domain or just a directory.

eg:
    sitename.com/esp or esp.sitename.com is one site
    sitename.com/usa or usa.sitename.com is another site
    etc, etc

6. PaulGregory

PaulGregory Active Member

Yes, and thankfully with directories it automatically picks up the existing authentication from the root.

The thread title is "multiple languages", but really if you want to go down the Apple route you're talking "multiple target countries", who just happen to have different languages (and for some, like Belgium, more than one).

Basically, Google.fr is the Google for France, not for French.

To quote Google itself:

The site I mentioned is for a corporate with a global reach, with multiple target countries covered by the 5 languages, so we just plump for not having a geographic target. It gets in Google internationally fine, but admittedly searches for the company name (an English phrase) turn up the English-language root homepage first.

If you go down the language route, there is a convention for cross-linking language pages in the header, although I don't know what use the search engines make of it.
    Code:
    <link hreflang="es" href="http://www.example.com/es/" rel="alternate" />
    <link hreflang="zh" href="http://www.example.com/zh/" rel="alternate" />

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. sc2009 United Kingdom

sc2009 Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, some useful info here :) I still need to get my head around it all and will most probably be a lot of trail and error.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.