Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Dispelling The Myth of the Domain Name “Queue of One”

Status
Not open for further replies.
All comes down to a question of 'worth'. As many people point out a domain is only 'worth' what someone is prepared to pay. A domain sitting on a shelf for 7+ years with a price tag of £50k but has received quite a few offers of around £500 is probably worth about £500 (the price someone is willing to pay).

Maintaining your name is work £50k which no-one wants to pay is a waste of a name that could be put to better use.

Ignoring your last comment because it sounds a bit left wing. (sorry)

Your analogy ( providing the name does have real market value ) overlooks the fact that the seller has not met the right buyer. The £500 offers in this scenario will be from chancers ( fair play to them ) but the seller knowing the value will wait for the right buyer. As for the saying "a domain is only worth what someone is prepared to pay " that is not correct, it may have greater value to the owner and a sale does not have an end time, it's not a horse race there is no finishing line the time is indeterminate.

Are my posts beginning to sound too left wing :)

To be honest I think everyone is making valid points. I personally have just had frustrating experiences with crazy prices (I.e 4 word, local exacts of 300, product prices £10 each so offer goes in at about £300-£500 and seller wants £75,000)

It's not a knock of anyone that holds a portfolio and gives a name a value based on some research. Certainly no-one on here that I've seen.

Last edited:
Whilst I understand the wish to use the property analogy, it isn't a perfect one for a couple of reasons that I can see.

One, the market is not liquid, there are far more sellers than buyers. If I owned the said manor house I could put it on auction next week and achieve a good high percentage (say 75%+ for arguments sake) of the price I could achieve if I marketed it properly and with patience. The same is true if I held a portfolio of 100 manor houses, I could find a trade buyer in a short time and achieve a good percentage. The same does not hold true of your portfolio of domains (as you have stated yourself in the past).

Secondly, domains are not investments so much as speculation (note both can lead to great profits, but there is a difference). If I bought the said manor house at auction and had absolutely no use for it I could get an income from it quite easily, by renting it out. There exists a ready market for property rental, with no skills required as there are many providers that would do everything for me. The same is true if I bought 100 manor houses. Even if I do not gain income there is a large enough market that I can have a good idea of it's likely sales price at any time, and decide whether to hold or sell. However domains have no such easy route to income, nor a trackable value.

So to extend your analogy somewhat, I think the internet is still in the wild west of property development. Pay a small fee to a local body and you could have your patch of land. If you could afford it there was nothing to stop you buying thousands of patches of land, either directly or on the secondary market. Some registered land that quickly became valuable due to gold or oil making them money very easily (think top end generics in financial industry). Others registered land that became valuable due to their own hard work, farmers or industrialists perhaps (think top brand names). Others again registered land that became valuable over time, purely because that cheap patch of mud ended up in the centre of a city or tourist area. These however became valuable gradually over time and most changed hands many times. This last section is how is how I see most middle level generics. Right now we do not know where the internet "cities" will be. If G (or FB, or whoever comes next) means that holding a generic gives no value whatsoever then you will be holding land in the centre of a desert. If however the custodians of search decree that it becomes more important, then you are going to be a Duke of Westminster. As you cannot know which way it will go (however much you believe it), then fundamentally domain holding is speculation.

All IMHO of course, without a crystal ball it really matters not a jot what any of us think or believe, but interesting none the less.

I think this is an excellent post.

Godaddy do just that.

Via the domain manager you can see past who-is enquiries logged by day, month & year, i know its not really relevant to this post as most of Edwin's domains are .co.uk but i'm sure many Acorner's have .com domains with GD

Makes interesting reading.

it would be nice if Nominet would supply whois/dac lookup counts for domain names to the registrants. Not sure on the feasability though.

You could debate this all day it won't make any difference. ALL value is subjective whether it's a house, a piece of gold, a domain... the only thing that has any real value is time, and as a consequence labour

You could debate this all day it won't make any difference. ALL value is subjective whether it's a house, a piece of gold, a domain... the only thing that has any real value is time, and as a consequence labour

True true - but there's nothing like a good ol' debate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom