Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Do 4 letter "generic word" domains sell well?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by WaftyCrank, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

Howdy peeps.

OK here's the situation. I have the possibility of purchasing a 4 letter domain that is a specific English language word. It's a .co.uk domain.

I have had a Sedo appraisal (groans and rolleyes welcome) which valued it in the £30k region. Now i'm not sure how reliable their appraisal is but there you go.
    Anyway the buyer isn't aware that I have had the domain appraised and he's looking for £15k to let it go.

While I know there is a good profit margin, I'm not sure whether the outlay is worth the risk. What if I end up stuck with the domain and can't sell it?
    It's a very good domain name and would be sought after (I would have thought). I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Any advice?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. mxm

mxm Active Member

get street fool no mercy

:rolleyes: there you go!

is it sold.co.uk :rolleyes: oops another one!

ok... 30 large for a 4L .co.uk generic... it will have to be VERY good name to be worth punting 15k out... regardless of RV or ROI, PM us the DN for a closer inspection... we observe and note all confidence in this matter ;)

4. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

No it's not Sold.co.uk. I'm keeping that one.
    However it is as good as the sold domain in my personal opinion.

I can't PM you the details I'm afraid :p as much as I'd love to.
    If I did it wouldn't be the best business decision I'd have made.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  5. binny

binny Active Member

good.co.uk ? :rolleyes:

6. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

:p no, but nice find. Thought about emailing them to see if they want to get rid?

7. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

It's one of mine .......

potroast.co.uk ;)

8. mxm

mxm Active Member

jumper skirt american muscle

no probs... but we are a bit in the dark.co.uk as to how we can even risk.co.uk coming up with a nice.co.uk figure for it :rolleyes:

we could broker the purchase if you needed to 1) keep it shhh as to who is buying and 2) maybe chip a bit off the $!

anyway if you need.co.uk us we are here.co.uk :D:D

scoot is good.co.uk up for offers?

9. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

Thank you for the offer. What security though would I have that you wouldn't just go ahead and purchase the domain yourself? ;)

10. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

You need to give more info to get a real opinion.........How much would you pay for my watch? You don't know if it's a timex or a rolex!

If the domain is crap.co.uk £15k is expensive and there is no profit margin. If you have gold.co.uk , £30k is a bargain.

Take appraisals with a pinch of salt. Unless you want to buy all my domains at 50% of appraisal value :rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. lex007

lex007 Active Member

I reckon if you want to buy a domain... buy one...but if you want to DOUBLE your dough there are better ways to do it! I will tell you a GUARANTEED way of doubling your money with 0% risk...YES that's right 0% risk! PM me for details.... cost you £1k to find out what though!

12. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

True.

Do you think sold.co.uk is (gold) domain?

13. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

unless you got something like fly/co/uk in mind for £30k keep the money in your pocket.

imho, sold.co.uk is a good domain but I wouldn't pay more than 5k for it on its own.

Although its got lots of 'potential' nothing really springs to mind when I hear it - take loans/codotuk thats good... its instantly meaningful + great keyword.

generics like sold/couk, good/couk are nothing without the site (+ dosh)behind - sure their nice, clean 'brandable (sorry rob ;) )

if the sites good the user will find and use what their given - take facebook, myspace etc reg fee domains.

All im saying is think carefully before punting £££££ on a domain that sounds nice, plus the seller will probably just send it to sedo auction when u do commit to a price ;)

14. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

As has already been said, it's hard to say without knowing what the domain name is........

... but if you're buying purely to sell on at a profit, and you are buying on the basis of "Sedo say it's worth £30k and I can buy it for £15k" then I would be very wary. You only have to read the smallprint in your Sedo valuation - in fact it's not even small, it's normal sized :)

It's not the same as buying a car that Glass's guide has on at £30k for £15k so you should be very careful.

Having said all that, it could be deal of the year - virtually impossible to say without knowing the domain name.

15. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

I understand it's difficult to make a comparisson.
    I would say that the domain is as good as my sold domain and I have had contact from a sedo employee asking if I would put the domain on a live auction with a reasonable reserve of £80,000.

They must be confident of being able to sell it above this price, which is where I'm coming from on the other domain. While I don't want to sell my current domain, a speculate to accumulate situation might be in order.

However I hear what you're all saying. Best to air on the side of caution.

16. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Remember some estate agents over-value your house at the initial meeting just to get you on the books :). They then wear you down over time so you accept a lower figure.

Don't get me wrong, Sedo have "facilitated" some big money sales in the past - but they have also issued some silly valuations and set some silly reserves in auctions.

Ultimately selling at auction is only half the battle. The other half is getting the person who is prepared to pay top dollar to the auction.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

very true!

you forgot the 'third' half :mrgreen: .......... getting them to pay.
    sedo's not great at that either :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.