Domain Manage

Domain Expiry

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by GreenGrass, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

Hi. I'm trying to get a domain that belonged to a website that closed down over a year ago. It's been due to expire soon, and I have some questions as I would like to pick it up soon. Here's part of the WhoIs:

It's a .com.

It's been extended by a year today. Is this standard practice and could it still drop soon? I don't think the domain owner will be renewing a blank website?

Best regards.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

Unless they cancel it you're going to have to wait.

You could contact them and offer a price maybe ?

4. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

I'm only 16 so I don't have the money to do that sort of thing unfortunately. :(

So, basically, the domain isn't going to expire, at least for another year?

5. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

well from the looks of it I am assuming you are talking about a .com, some big registrars renew the domain an extra year to sell off at auction, check who's the registrar and see if they got an auction site. i.e. Godaddy have TDNam

6. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

I'm guessing I'm out of look in this case then. :(

If so, thanks for your quick help, and I'll try and think of something else. ;)

7. doodlebug United Kingdom

Get a job and buy some product .co.uks, you could have a good future infront of you, do lots of research though (lots) don't dive in head first ;)

Good luck :cool:

8. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

This was for a small website I was thinking about setting up, so it's not a major deal. I came here because I thought this might be a knowledgeable place - and it was, you've been a great help.

I've got enough money to buy plenty of .co.uk's, and I have some in mind now, and for the future. :)

Thanks again, shame it didn't work out this time, but you win some, and you lose some as they say! ;)

Edit: I could get the .co.uk for this, and would have ideally wanted the .com to go with it.

9. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

Sorry for the double post, but I don't think it is worth creating a new thread. Do you have any tips for a newbie? :p

10. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

Yes don't buy "plenty of .co.uk's", most of us on here when we started bought domains that we shouldn't have. Buy one or two to start with and develop those and then learn from them before buying too many more.

11. doodlebug United Kingdom

Don't waste your money on brandable domains, they are hard to sell such as silverbingo.co.uk and definitely stay away from trademark domains such as cheaperipad#co#uk

Ignore new extensions such as .tel and .co, unless you get eg, money#tel or sex#co then you're wasting your money on them.

Only reg say 100 domains max and then sell some before you allow yourself to reg anymore.

12. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

Yes, I understand that. You need to learn from the beginning, and shouldn't spend too much at the beginning. What I meant was that I would be able to buy some. Sorry I wasn't clear. ;)

Ok, so no trademarks at all, even things like www. ipad reviews .co.uk or something?

Thanks again. :)

13. suzi United Kingdom

suzi Active Member

Nope - not even that!

Some of us still do. (Maybe even 'most' occasionally?)

14. GreenGrass

GreenGrass Member

I apologise if this is pushing it to much, and don't answer if you don't want to, but what makes a good name and how do you go about selling these domains? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.