Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

domain holding sales pages

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by stender, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Is there any strategy when setting up sales pages for your domain names?

The examples are some will put "any enquiries about this name...."

others will put "for sale"

and some will put some keyword text and get it ranked and include a contact.

My query is can any of this damage the future use of a domain or it's salebility?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I think people put wording to show it's not a domain that's been registered just to sell it, so something like "this website is currently under development" click here if you would like to enquiry about this domain name".

That's what I've seen anyway

Admin

4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

This is the option I'm taking. I build a site for the domain, and attempt to rank it for the keyphrase, including a prominent message on the site that links through to my new domain sales site. You can see this technique in action at FallArrest .co.uk. It gives your domain exposure, and puts it in front of potential buyers, whilst at the same time allowing the possibility of traffic and revenue.

Rgds

5. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

If somebody comes across your domain with an interest in buying it then why not put for sale and make it clear to them that it is for sale.

You wouldn't build a house to sell and put a sign simply saying 'under construction' would you

It would be good to have every domain with a for sale page and possible put some related content under the for sale sign.

It would only take a small amount of content in most cases as I have seen domains with nothing but a logo getting ranked high check Goldfrogs icandy

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

If you stick to generics, I see no problem in putting "For Sale" on the domain.

7. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

It's very hard to put a 'fits all' answer to your question, - The comment about just using a contact enquiry and as stated an email address click through and not a standard contact form is the closest to get to a risk free and positive message being sent

I always look upon a laid-out enquiry form as if its the seller asking his questions and not the otherway around - as all selling should be conducted.

8. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the opinions and comments

9. MASSEY

MASSEY Active Member

If some one really wants to buy a domain they do a bit of digging and can easily work out if its for sale or not.

If you have a generic term the best thing is to put a page up with some text and try and get in ranking well for a term. If you can increase the sites pagerank aswell it all adds to the final value.

10. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

With due respect MASSEY

Read any intro section - and move on

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  11. VSC

VSC Active Member

I've actually been thinking about this in relation to the search engines. Does for instance Google downgrade the ranking of a domain if it finds text such as "this domain is for sale" or similar.

Yep, I could be talking out of my hat, but G is constantly trying to make it's results cleaner for it's users (and not helpful for us sometimes).

Anyway, my solution is simply to have a graphic with the text "this domain is for sale" or whatever - of course saving the graphic as a relevant keyword.

VSC

12. MASSEY

MASSEY Active Member

You don't make sense

13. MASSEY

MASSEY Active Member

You should try and get it to rank well, maybe do ansmall bit of link buildin

if you approach people who might be interested if they see it performs well in the SERPS, you will have more chance of selling it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.