Domain Manage

Domain Newbie Sedo Advice

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by domjkb, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domjkb

    domjkb Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2011
    Posts:
    122
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hi All,

    a little about me:

    I am involved with web / business development. I register domains with the view to possibly develop further. Just recently, I have stated to park the domains that are not being used. I also joined this forum to keep an eye on domains for sale that may be of interest, and also to promote my own domains which I would be unlikely to develop further.

    I have slowly in the last couple of weeks added a number of domains to sedo. I decided last week to category showcase a couple of domains which I thought were quite good.

    Today I received an offer of £45 on one of these. (I think this is the lowest bid you can make on sedo?)

    I was shocked to see that sedo charge a minimum of £35 to sell a domain! This means that after the cost of the category showcase I would be getting a few quid back!

    My options are: Accept the Offer, Decline the offer, make a counter offer, or place in no reserve auction with this as the opening bid. (Think I have 5 days to decide)

    Any ideas what I should do here? I have spoken to a few on this forum who have said its best to trade in forums like this rather than sedo??

    The domain by the way is thiswillsell.com

    Thanks

    Dominic
     
  2. Domain Forum

    Acorn Domains Elite Member

    Joined:
    1999
    Messages:
    Many
    Likes Received:
    Lots
     
  3. Aiden Roberts

    Aiden Roberts Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 2011
    Posts:
    1,380
    Likes Received:
    16
    Hi domjkb

    Obviously it would be pointless selling at £45 if Sedo want £35, I am not really qualified to put a value on your domain but if it's not one you are going to use then I would try a counter offer after doing some research on who the buyer is. I think if you push it to auction then if no one puts in a higher offer then the £45 bid wins it, it may get more bids so it's a bit of a gamble.

    In terms of selling it in forums you have to remember you will mainly be dealing with other domainers who will only pay domainer prices also Acorn is probably not the best forum to sell a .com.

    I am sure you will get more answers but I guess it boils down to what price you want for the domain and what the buyer is willing to pay; the latter being the important one.

    Good Luck

    Aiden
     
  4. domjkb

    domjkb Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2011
    Posts:
    122
    Likes Received:
    2
    Thanks Aiden for your post, and Chris (for the pm) Really appreciate your input thanks.

    As I mentioned, I'm not really in the domainer business. It seems people want to buy really good names, or names with high traffic and rev.

    Terms people use like 'exacts' mean nothing to me as of yet! I have done a couple of cheap manual appraisals on my better names, But what does this really mean? Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay right?

    For the moment I think I will use the full 5 days left to see If I recieve any more bids and also look at what other names are doing in auction. Is it worth a gamble to put into auction? Am I likely to receive more exposure?

    I understand that If I make a counter offer, and it is rejected, I lose the bid. Meaning the option to go to auction isn't available anymore...

    lol isn't this fun! Welcome any further thoughts / advice.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page