Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domain opinion needed

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by wigg234, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigg234

wigg234 Member

Hi there - I'm very new to this, but I have been scanning through this forum to get ideas of what to buy and what to avoid. I have just bought a few domains and I would love your opinions of what I've got and if I could sell them for more than registration!

DiscountMoney.co.uk
    WhyGolf.co.uk
    3DGoal.co.uk

Many thanks for your time.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

3DGoal.co.uk is quite good. I recently bought 3dfootball.org.uk / .me.uk to capitalise on upcoming 3d TV technology. 3DGoal would be a good name for benefitting from 3d football products, so this is a nice name and you should be able to sell for a profit.

WhyGolf.co.uk - It's fine for an affiliate site, in terms of selling the domain it's not that strong, but someone might like it enough for you to turn a profit. Golf is obviously a big industry so an affiliate site would do ok.

DiscountMoney.co.uk - The purpose of this domain isn't immediately clear to me, but you might be able to leverage the trend for discount codes, maybe by showing people how much money they could benefit from in getting their discount. However, I'm not sure how clear the marketing message is, and an obvious domain like VoucherCode.tv would be better.

Rgds

4. wigg234

wigg234 Member

So how much would 3DGoal.co.uk be worth. I assume the thing to do is wait for 3D to go big and then cash in.

Sorry to ask basic questions but what do you mean by affiliate site? Do you mean using it to send traffic to Amazon or similar? And would just having 'golf' in the name help that much?

Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate the help tackling the learning curve!

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Yes, I would wait until 3D is more established. At the moment, I think you'd be able to sell it for a small profit. Take a look at domainprices.co.uk for sale price info and start watching sales to be able to value domains.

An affiliate site is one that uses affiliate programmes from the likes of Affiliate Window, buy.at and Tradedoubler to display ads.

Having the right words in domains can help in ranking, that's why generic keyphrase domains are popular, e.g. golfclubs.co.uk, golfholidays.co.uk, cheapgolfclubs.co.uk.

Rgds

6. suzi United Kingdom

suzi Active Member

Hi and welcome.

For me, Discount Money sounds like it ought to be good - but I can't really think what for. It doesn't really cry out 'voucher codes' or 'cheap foreign exchange'. What exactly is 'discount money'? So, value wise, little more than reg fee - unless you (or a potential buyer) can identify a niche and preferably do something to identify the domain with that niche.

WhyGolf... 2 nice short keywords - but again, they don't really mean much together. Again, they really need to be built into something to have any worth as a domain. I can't think of anyone just randomly sticking 'why golf' into Google. So again, for me, little more than reg fee.

3DGoal. A bit outside my comfort zone! MY first reaction was - why? Then I read accelerator's comments, and still thought... why?! For me, 3DGoals would be better - it could be used to show goals in 3D!!! So, sorry, but even when 3D takes off - still doesn't really do much for me - not something I really associate as being 3D.

So, overall, far better than many first-timers first-regs, but none I would have spent reg fee on - others may well disagree.

PS: 3DGoals is still free to reg. Might be worth getting the pair to protect your investment. Or, if someone else takes it - how about a small donation to Admin.

7. wigg234

wigg234 Member

Thanks for all your feedback-I really appreciate your advice.
    I have to say I'm finding the whole domain subject really interesting. There is so much to learn-fingers crossed I can make some money eventually!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.